PDA

View Full Version : Time for replacement model

Dathaeus
10-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Sadly my E36 has problems where the repair bill will far outweigh the value. I love my 328i but I think its time for a replacement.

I have been shopping around basically for an E46 with a manual transmission, and preferably a sports package, or an M3 (which I know is probably more expensive and harder driven). I am not totally averted to a 5 series but not likely.

My current car's value will probably be about $2k, maybe less if deducted for the problems it may have. I want to keep my initial bill for a new purchase at 10k or lower.

I am just asking for some advice on the best way to approach this. My current knowledge/have dones:

- Checked out every online seller (eBay, autotrade, cars, kbb, etc.,etc...) and found some possibilities, but a lot of them are kinda far from me (like 60+ miles) and a lot of them dont have any return policy no matter what
- I would prefer a place with trade ins, make the whole thing easy
- I do not have a mechanic that will come with me to check out the car and cant afford to hire a stranger, let alone I may not even want the car I see with him
- Someone suggested getting a car broker to search for me?
- What models of E46 are the best? I know this 328i w/sports package has been a dream so far for over a decade... I do like speed, so I probably will never be getting a 325 convertible if you know what I mean
- Dont care if sedan or coupe, but still leaning towards sedan

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

ScottyWM
10-15-2012, 12:14 PM
A year ago I purchased a 2000 328i sedan for my daughter to use to replace her wrecked E36 from a private individual. I looked at dealer sales, but they were either completely worn out junk or way overpriced. One I got was just about $6k with 125k miles on it. Meticulous dealer maintenance, body about a 7.5 of 10. Make sure to research the subframe and reverse gear issues. I'd aim for a later year 2003-2006 model if you can afford it. At least then you should get the radio with the mp3 ability. Personally, I prefer to deal with private owners rather than dealers. Dealers mark up too much and tend to hide problems areas where private people only want to get a little bit more money than the dealer would give them on a trade-in. If you can't get a pre-purchase inspection, at least ask for all the maintenance records. If they don't have any, that sounds like trouble. Having driven both the E46 323 and 328, I found the 328 to have a lot more get up and go than the 323's. Other than that, it's just what do you want and how much can you afford?

Dathaeus
10-15-2012, 12:22 PM
A year ago I purchased a 2000 328i sedan for my daughter to use to replace her wrecked E36 from a private individual. I looked at dealer sales, but they were either completely worn out junk or way overpriced. One I got was just about $6k with 125k miles on it. Meticulous dealer maintenance, body about a 7.5 of 10. Make sure to research the subframe and reverse gear issues. I'd aim for a later year 2003-2006 model if you can afford it. At least then you should get the radio with the mp3 ability. Personally, I prefer to deal with private owners rather than dealers. Dealers mark up too much and tend to hide problems areas where private people only want to get a little bit more money than the dealer would give them on a trade-in. If you can't get a pre-purchase inspection, at least ask for all the maintenance records. If they don't have any, that sounds like trouble. Having driven both the E46 323 and 328, I found the 328 to have a lot more get up and go than the 323's. Other than that, it's just what do you want and how much can you afford?

Hi, thanks for the tips. Ya I agree dealers are overpriced, but I guess I'm thinking they may have some extended warranty for cheap, and take my car for trade in when it will be hard to sell privately because of age, and need more time to entertain buyers, etc.... I am definitely looking at minimum 2002, hopefully later. Any suggestions on how to go about using a PPI? It seems most would not let me take it to my indy before I pay full amount.

I'm looking at these two right now:

Autotrader (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33418&endYear=2004&modelCode1=325I&showcaseOwnerId=564241&startYear=2004&makeCode1=BMW&listingType=used&transmissionCode=MAN&searchRadius=75&bodyStyleCodes=SEDAN&listingId=331646050&Log=0)
CL (http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/ctd/3282490565.html)

I just found this and it has really piqued my interest, even though its a few hours away, I have a friend there who may be able to check it out for me....

BMW (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33418&endYear=2009&keywords=zhp&modelCode1=3_SERIES&showcaseOwnerId=564241&startYear=2002&makeCode1=BMW&listingType=used&keywordsfyc=zhp&transmissionCode=MAN&searchRadius=300&listingId=330404353&Log=0)

Dathaeus
10-16-2012, 04:10 PM
"I attached the carfax report. I have been driving this one myself for a few weeks and just love it. We fully serviced this car ourselves with fully synthetic oil, factory original belts and tensioners, oil filter, cabin air filter, headlight lenses, intake manifold runner, also known as adjuster unit, brake pads, rotors, and pad sensors, the cowl panel, Bosch wiper blade set, clutch kit, control arm bushings set, rear differential bushing, door lock cylinder, and a few more cosmetic things. This one will last you a long time. I promise you, this car will make you happy."

Words from the seller for the ZHP (details again below). I took a look at the carfax but it really didn say much, or I dont know how to look at it. I am guessing I will still need a PPI? I have no experience with this so any "professional" opinion would be appreciated, i.e., something smells fishy or sounds good so far?

CARFAX (http://min.us/mom5yEQUoZAq0)

Cars for Sale: 2003 BMW 330i Sedan in Orlando, FL 32839: Sedan Details - 330404353 - AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=330404353)

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: BMW
Model: 330i
Year: 2003
Price: $10,900

Mileage: 149,745
Body Style: Sedan
Color: Gray
Cylinders: 6 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission: Manual
Doors: Four Door
Stereo: Harman Kardon Sound Sys
VIN: WBAEV53443KM04072
Stock ID: M04072
Description: Very unique 2003 BMW 330i ZHP. Grey on black. You are looking at a rare BMW for an amazing price. Car features ZHP package, which means up graded factory suspensions, up graded engine performance, six speed manual transmission with short shifter, cold air intake, and BMW M-Tech II aerodynamic package. Carbon fiber insert replace the wood grain, cloth seats with all power options and premium sound and xenon lights. Ice cold dual a/c will keep you cool and 18 inch sport alloys on track. For safety it comes with ABS, traction control, and six airbags. This car was made as a daily driver and weekend track car. Highly responsive engine and curve eating suspension. Must warn you, this car is very addictive and a lot of fun to drive. Fully serviced and ready to perform. Test drive it now and make it yours. J.C. Motors of Orlando, Inc. is a family owned and operated dealership with over 16 years of experience in the used car business. Our friendly staff will
answer all your questions. We are known for quality cars and specialize in BMWs. Additionally; we offer a large selection of foreign and domestic Cars, Trucks, Vans, and Suvs. All our cars are inspected and properly serviced. We offer various types of financing. Make the right choice and get a safe and reliable car from us. For more information call now 407-888-0035 or visit us at jcmotorsonline.com 16 years at the same location 5485 S. Orange Blossom Trail. Orlando, FL 32839
Trim: Sedan

Dathaeus
10-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Also what it seems like from the carfax is, Canadian... seems like it is actually an M-sport, NOT a ZHP, agreed?
If so, is this an M-sport I or II? And I thought even the M sport II doesnt have a 6800 redline nor does it have the HP bump... so at best this is a 330i with a slightly stiffer suspension and some fake trimmings? Seems like there is some more negotiation to do, although now I have been researching the ZHP, I feel like thats what I really want, unless this also has 225 HP.

ScottyWM
10-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I see you're not getting a lot of help,
You might try these guys to get more input on 3 series:
E46Fanatics - Powered by vBulletin (http://forum.e46fanatics.com)

Dathaeus
10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
I see you're not getting a lot of help,
You might try these guys to get more input on 3 series:
E46Fanatics - Powered by vBulletin (http://forum.e46fanatics.com)

Ha thanks, already there and they are awesome! Altho I have received some good help here before for other things. :) Thank you!