PDA

View Full Version : tips on reading gauges vacuum gauges

shogun
09-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Tips on Reading Gauges: Vacuum Gauges (http://www.international-auto.com/fiat-lancia-tips-on-reading-gauges/tips-on-reading-gauges-vacuum-gauges.cfm)

good stuff, similar explanations I have on my website.

A vacuum gauge is more interesting "to read" than a 'boring' oil temp indicator, that does not move very much.

e34.535i.sport
09-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Tips on Reading Gauges: Vacuum Gauges (http://www.international-auto.com/fiat-lancia-tips-on-reading-gauges/tips-on-reading-gauges-vacuum-gauges.cfm)

good stuff, similar explanations I have on my website.

A vacuum gauge is more interesting "to read" than a 'boring' oil temp indicator, that does not move very much.

Thanks Shogun, that might come in very handy for me once I get my vac/boost gauge sorted out finally!!! :D

e34.535i.sport
10-03-2012, 05:11 PM
As I've mentioned in my other thread I've finally tapped into my inlet manifold via a swirl-flap blanking plate for my vacuum/boost gauge after a lot of hard work and when I turned it on... Nothing registered! The gauge didn't even flicker... Cannot figure it out, the manifold must be under vacuum at idle right?? I so hope my vacuum pipe to the gauge is snagged somewhere.

whiskychaser
10-04-2012, 02:03 PM
John, somebody on another forum is offering a 52 plate 525i Touring FOC. Seems those swirl plates are a bit of a problem. £10K worth in this case. Seems the engine eats them?

e34.535i.sport
10-04-2012, 02:48 PM
John, somebody on another forum is offering a 52 plate 525i Touring FOC. Seems those swirl plates are a bit of a problem. £10K worth in this case. Seems the engine eats them?

Ooh that's bad news... Yeah it's well worth removing the manifold and blanking them off at a cost of <£50, they can go at any time straight into the engine and that's the end of it! It's actually got me worried now that the one I have in that I've drilled/tapped for the hose connector might collapse - even though I know it's rock steady!! :P Boost was there on the gauge during the run to work today though which was nice, all looks in good shape too... Like to keep an eye on the turbo as it's a common failure on these too with serious consequences... Not as bulletproof as the e34 but really nice to drive when going well I must admit. :D