PDA

View Full Version : E34 back from rest period!

RobPatt
09-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I took a job for 2 or so years w/a 120+ mile round trip commute... the E34 (93 525ia) has 180K miles, so didn't think it best to use daily...

Parked the E34, drive it occasionally on Sundays... bought a Honda Accord and promptly put about 80K on the honda.

Accord is a decent car for the price... but it's LIGHT... NOISY... and just no where near the quality or handling, or solid feel of the E34.
It's comfortable, good gas mileage, no real complaints... but a 2009 Accord still can't hang w/the bimmer.

Now I work local again, time to get the bimmer on the road... getting noises from the rear, sounds like from up high... so I went nuts a bit and bought:
- melye HD upper shock mounts (germany meyle packaging has stickers saying made in china!)
- new dogbones
- new rear sway bar 'connectors' (look like big dog bones)
- powerflex poly subframe bushings....
- new dewalt reciprocal saw! (yes)

2 questions:
1 - how hard is it to cut the old subframe bushings out? do I need to lower the subframe from the car, or can I just go at it? new bushings are 2 piece, so easy to install. ( I put the sachs spring/shock kit on years ago, along w/style 5 wheels, etc... )
2 - how hard is it to put the new connector links (?) on the rear anti-sway bar?

atmittedly, I haven't been under the car in a while....
thanks much - had the same car for 10 years now and been on this site since 2001... way back to the old, old site! whoo -hoo

should call it BMWLiveStrong! Cheers,
Rob.

shogun
09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
beer cans = subframe bushings you can get out with your new dewalt reciprocal saw, go to my website below, there to other diy sites and there to Bryan, he has good pics.
Also use a small gas burner to heat up the subframe around the bushings a bit, they will slip out easier.

RobPatt
09-21-2012, 05:22 PM
yes, that's why I bought the saw... just wasn't sure about the angle, or need to lower subframe...
i'm sure i'll figure it out... but don't have time for 2 weeks, so want to talk about it... excited to do the job.
thanks for the reference... also looking to do my headliner, nice write-up you have on that!

genphreak
09-21-2012, 06:45 PM
The sway bar links are a push/pull (very tight) fit. Not hard to do if you jack it up. The upper shock mounts are 3 12mm bolts, but to get to them u must remove the rubber cap and to get to that, clean your hands and remove;

The rear seat cushions
The C pillar covers (pull the rear first after pulling back the door rubber)
The parcel shelf

The 10mm plastic bolts holding the seat need a small ratchet handle and extension. Some plastic fasteners in the parcel shelf front need a flat blade screwdriver- if you're happy breaking them, else a spludger/plastic fastener remover.

Then you can undo the 19mm nut at the bottom of the strut and remove from the car to fit the upper support/mount to the strut.

93 525 Paul
09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Welcome back. Ours is getting ready to be re awakened from a serious hibernation so I'm looking forward to 180k. She's been on 178 for several years...