PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had to use on of these on their E34?

JR'Z 525
06-18-2004, 03:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905198015&category=33589

Don't recall anyone ever mentioning having to repair the steering box mount. The only unibody repairs ever mentioned are the door stops. Right?
JR

winfred
06-18-2004, 11:04 PM
i think thats like that "performance ground wire" kit thats sold on the bay, i've never seen or herd of it in my 7-8 years of selling bmw salvage

632 Regal
06-18-2004, 11:51 PM
WTF is that!

Jeff N.
06-19-2004, 12:57 AM
I think the e24's have a problem with the steering box mounting point...never heard of the problem on an E34.

Craig
06-19-2004, 01:52 AM
E28s have a pretty big problem with it too.

JR'Z 525
06-19-2004, 08:02 AM
I didn't think our E34's had that problem...
thanks,
JR

Craig
06-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Having owned several E28s and now on my first E34, it's interesting to see the improvements that have been made. That's the real big advantage to the E34- it's basically an E28 that's had stuff fixed/improved. There are several weak spots in the E28 that just don't exist in the E34 (though the E34 has its own problems).

Contrast that with something like an E39 that's more of a 'brand new' design and I'm happy with my 175K mile, 13 year old E34. :D

haggis100
06-19-2004, 12:53 PM
:( Hi.

totally unrelated, Have 540I 1994. Where is the bleed screw on these for coolant. Bentley says it is on the thermostat housing which is actually contained in the water pump housing . This is on the front of the block behind the fan. Lower and upper hose connect either side. Well, if you have a 540I don't bother buying the Benteley manual. It has terrible descriptions and basically a bunch of hand drawn sketches when it comes to the M60 engine. It is okay I guess for some of the general stuff but has no specifics. I don't see anythipng resembling a bleed screw as they infer in the manual. My last resort is to call a dealer and ask them where this is actually located or if it even exists on the 540I, separate expansion tank at rear of engine. Any help/ ideas on how to bleed this once flushed much appreciated. Haggis

haggis100
06-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Having owned several E28s and now on my first E34, it's interesting to see the improvements that have been made. That's the real big advantage to the E34- it's basically an E28 that's had stuff fixed/improved. There are several weak spots in the E28 that just don't exist in the E34 (though the E34 has its own problems).

Contrast that with something like an E39 that's more of a 'brand new' design and I'm happy with my 175K mile, 13 year old E34. :D

Hi, you seem to know your way round these... any idea where the bleed screw is on the 540I e34, miines a 94', need to flush, can't find bleed screw even with the un-help of the Bentley manual, it is awfiul for this particular model. They basically tell you just do the same as with the other models, but it's a bit different.... and eh we're not going to supply you with any pictures etc for that particular model.... it really is awful... My bet is they had most of the other research , slapped the book together published it and winged it ont he df540I stuff...

winfred
06-19-2004, 10:00 PM
the m60 doesn't have one, when servicing a cooling system on one of these heres a tip or two, make sure that the small pisser line from the left side upper part of the radiator to the coolent tank is clear, the fitting where it goes into the tank can and does clog, this will cause a overheating problem, more then once i've found a hunk of gorilla snot plugging it (good reason to not overuse sealent) and if the thermostat does not have a air bleed in it drill one, this will stop any air lock problems, i've gotten several motor/head jobs from people trying to get a motor to burp by running it. 1/16"th - 1/8"th hole does fine

Have 540I 1994. Where is the bleed screw on these for coolant.

haggis100
06-20-2004, 01:41 PM
the m60 doesn't have one, when servicing a cooling system on one of these heres a tip or two, make sure that the small pisser line from the left side upper part of the radiator to the coolent tank is clear, the fitting where it goes into the tank can and does clog, this will cause a overheating problem, more then once i've found a hunk of gorilla snot plugging it (good reason to not overuse sealent) and if the thermostat does not have a air bleed in it drill one, this will stop any air lock problems, i've gotten several motor/head jobs from people trying to get a motor to burp by running it. 1/16"th - 1/8"th hole does fine

Thank you!! I am glad to realize that I have not completely lost the plot. Bentley were definitely winging it on the M60 stuff in the manual. My guess is that they just lifted what they could from the owners manual and deduced the rest from the other sets ups they talk about in the manual..
I am guessing that the fthermostat is okay, I had to change the secondary water pump because some clown had overtightened the hose clamps that connect the necks on this to the cooling system. They heated up cracked and blew the hoses off. It wasn't pretty. I have all that taken care of now. I was able to pick up an auxiliary water pump on drivewire brand new for $116.00, most places it's around $140.00[, thats if they even know what your talking about. I have bur bed cars before with the cap off, but never with a separate expansion tank. I just don't feel like pulling the water pump apart because supposedly per Bentley thats where they hide the thermostat on these. Before I had the problem with the hoses blowing off, the temp guage was fine. it was pointing straight at 12.00 so I guess it was okay... although I was getting collant level warnings presumably because the coolant was leaking from the aux water pump.. I'm not sure... Thanks for the info and the assurance that I will not need to be committed to an insane asylum on Fathers day. Adios. Haggis. :)