PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak question

ahlem
09-19-2012, 02:56 PM
My 1990 535i has an oil leak at the front of the motor approximately at the seal at the crank and lower timing case.
I need to climb around some more to verify that's the only place leaking in that neighborhood. I get a 4" diameter puddle every time I turn off the car. It only has 383,000 miles so I figure it's about due. Is there any special trick or other parts involved in changing that seal? I have done the job on M20B25 motors but not the M30. I can't tell if more than the dampener has to come off the front of the crank. Any links available to a write up?

shogun
09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
on my site go to other diy links, there to Jon Evans, he has a write up with pics for the M30 front engine oil leak.

ahlem
09-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Boy would that be sweet if that's all it is. I'll fire up the pressure washer and take a good look.
Stay tuned.

genphreak
09-21-2012, 05:35 PM
It will be, unless oil is seeping from elsewhere and thus allowing air in, which means it will be running badly.

ahlem
09-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Runs Great.
It's been raining here for a couple days so I haven't been able to get to the project. Hopefully this weekend.
I did however acquire a complete good condition interior from a 540i sport from 1995 that I am installing.

genphreak
09-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Woot, always nice to have an M-interior. The way all cars should be made inside, but they make them to fit everyone's needs instead of 'just the drivers'

I enjoy a squeeze in and out, and if I were fatter, I'd just be ordering tailored seats instead- not putting up with bum-slide each time one gets a tad of tail-slide! Good buy- you better plan to keep her, cos once you drive her in that interior you'll never be happy in another car unless you move to an M-car... your bar has been raised!

ahlem
09-24-2012, 07:08 AM
It's looking more like the e30 M3 interior all the time except you can put in a family of 5 and head off to church.
I have to remove a custom heat shield that partitions off the K&N air filter to get a good look at the bolt and wasn't relishing the idea of doing that in the rain. The garage is glogged with other projects at the moment.