PDA

View Full Version : What is this vacuum port to?

94e34m60
08-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Located on the rear "plate" of this intake manifold, what are these two ports for and where do they connect to? The car is a '94 530i V8 with automatic transmission and ASC.

Tiger
08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Supposed to be a rubber plug on it.

94e34m60
08-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Both the large port and the small port are supposed to be plugged?

Tiger
08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Large one is plugged. The small one is supposed to connect to the fuel pressure regulator.

94e34m60
08-15-2012, 12:14 AM
There is a small one on the opposite side that is currently connected to the fuel pressure regulator. The purple circled port is a small one directly above the big port, both of these are on the "driver's" side.

Tiger
08-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Mmm... I don't recall another one there on my 540 and I just recently changed it. If you don't have any hoses nearby those vacuum ports... then it is most likely just plugged up. You can consult with your BMW dealer on this.

94e34m60
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Okay thank you! Was just looking for vacuum leaks. A can of brake cleaner has confirmed that......the complete intake manifold gasket set needs replaced. To bad I am over 2,900 miles from my home and all of my tools, joe blow's down the street is saying $600 total for intake gasket job and driveshaft flexjoint & center support.

632 Regal
08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Reset the computer and drive it home. I cant see an intake leak on these things getting real bad in a short time. 600 bux for all 3 isn't that bad IF they do it proper, and that is a capital 'IF'

Tiger
08-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Agreed...

You can try tightening the intake down a bit more... DO NOT CRANK ON IT... MEANING DO NOT TORQUE THEM DOWN TIGHT. Put your hand on the ratchet head... not the handle... if you can't turn it any more, that is it.

$600 is not bad of a price... but I don't know anyone who does the work that cheap... I wonder if he is just going to tighten them down a bit more and call it fixed... I personally have done the intake gasket... there is quite a bit to remove to get it out.

94e34m60
08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Agreed...

You can try tightening the intake down a bit more... DO NOT CRANK ON IT... MEANING DO NOT TORQUE THEM DOWN TIGHT. Put your hand on the ratchet head... not the handle... if you can't turn it any more, that is it.

$600 is not bad of a price... but I don't know anyone who does the work that cheap... I wonder if he is just going to tighten them down a bit more and call it fixed... I personally have done the intake gasket... there is quite a bit to remove to get it out.

I have tried to tighten it down but it didn't help, didn't make it worse either. I noticed the previous "owner" of this vehicle must have had the gaskets done before, because there is blue gasket goop protruding from around the valley pan.

Joe Blow's down the street is now saying $1,058.00 for intake & valley pan, and the driveshaft issues....gotta love over the phone estimates and in person estimates :/ Probably going to try and trade it in for a 2008+ VW later on today/this week.

Tiger
08-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Like I said, I have done the job and it is not a tough job but so many things has to come off to get that manifold off. When I first had it done at the BMW dealer... that was $600 alone for the manifold gasket. The gasket itself is cheap but the other stuff that you need tog et the whole thing done right so you never have to take it off again will cost.

What is the problem you are having now? You started this thread about the vacuum ports but nothing about your current problem. I know this engine well.

genphreak
08-17-2012, 01:49 AM
I have tried to tighten it down but it didn't help, didn't make it worse either. I noticed the previous "owner" of this vehicle must have had the gaskets done before, because there is blue gasket goop protruding from around the valley pan.

Joe Blow's down the street is now saying $1,058.00 for intake & valley pan, and the driveshaft issues....gotta love over the phone estimates and in person estimates :/ Probably going to try and trade it in for a 2008+ VW later on today/this week.

I like VWs and Audis but trading it on a 2008? Beware, you have to get good at taking the ***whole front off*** to do things like timing belts on a V6. They try to build them like BMW does (attitude) but more often, committee decisions = fail. VWs have their pluses, but there are plenty of minuses too. I'd buy a new 3er if I really wanted to oust an e34.
A VW may not keep you happy for long :-(

94e34m60
08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Like I said, I have done the job and it is not a tough job but so many things has to come off to get that manifold off. When I first had it done at the BMW dealer... that was $600 alone for the manifold gasket. The gasket itself is cheap but the other stuff that you need tog et the whole thing done right so you never have to take it off again will cost.

What is the problem you are having now? You started this thread about the vacuum ports but nothing about your current problem. I know this engine well.

BMW dealer stated that the intake manifold gaskets needed replaced. I couldn't believe that so I bought a can of carb cleaner and sprayed it under the intake and it revved up, also sprayed around the throttle body gasket and it revved up again. Then the driveshaft flex joint and center bearing was becoming noticeably worn. Then both seats got the twist back problem and the headrest issue, did some searching and fixed the seats. Then a license plate light blew...it took the wiring out somewhere or was already previously f'ed with, found a spliced in ground wire in the trunk lid.

I like VWs and Audis but trading it on a 2008? Beware, you have to get good at taking the ***whole front off*** to do things like timing belts on a V6. They try to build them like BMW does (attitude) but more often, committee decisions = fail. VWs have their pluses, but there are plenty of minuses too. I'd buy a new 3er if I really wanted to oust an e34.
A VW may not keep you happy for long :-(

The e34 was my girlfriends vehicle, and was just purchased less then two months ago. All of these things came about fairly quickly, so she decided to give up on it and traded it for a *caugh* '03 Outback *gag*. I am into the mk3 dubs, been doing minor to major work on those for nearly a decade, but that 530 was sweet. If I was at home with it and all of my tools and my Golf, I would have convinced her to keep it.

My reason for going with such a new VW right from VW though, was to take advantage of the warranties. We have a three thousand mile drive back home and I would like the assurance of being able to goto any VW dealer is something breaks along the way.

We couldn't swing the monthly payments anyways, so the 5 speed Outback "fit" right in. Like an oval peg in a square hole.....

One two hour session of youtube for "E34 Custom Exhaust" got me hooked :( I may have to dump all my dubs when I get home and convert...

Tiger
08-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Hehehe... E34 is fairly reliable car but you need to buy the right one and also have money to spend to get it to good state. Sounds like that wasn't the case when she bought it so the Outback may be much more reliable for her.

Take you time to find the right car... there are tons of E34 on the road.