PDA

View Full Version : 50 People on BimmerNut but few posts or replies

93 525 Paul
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Why is it that every time I log on I see 50+ users on the site but there are comparatively VERY few posts or replies to posts. Relative to the Klincoln forum and the general tech forums I visit, the ratio is all backwards.
Why so many lurkers, non posters???

shogun
07-25-2012, 10:22 PM
read:
Currently Active Users
There are currently 61 users online. 1 members and 60 guests

so the one member is shogun in this case and the socalled guests are non registered users or mainly search engines.

But we are getting better, in recent weeks it improved.

BennyM
07-26-2012, 10:33 AM
I check in on a fairly regular basis, I just don't have much to say these days. It's more about diving into the wealth of knowledge already archived here.

ScottyWM
07-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I check in on a fairly regular basis, I just don't have much to say these days. It's more about diving into the wealth of knowledge already archived here.

+1 cheers

93 525 Paul
07-27-2012, 06:17 PM

+1 cheers

Well we must be the least "post whore" ish types in existence. I surmised a fair bit of trolling due to the massive info but posting now and again would make the place more interesting. Say, "i found this, here's what I'm working on, here are a couple pics." Having one or two threads a day is just weak.

Bo525i
07-29-2012, 06:36 AM

+2 angel

bimmer nut
07-29-2012, 08:06 AM
We average about 2-3 new members a day. I'm not sure why we don't get more posting. You got any ideas, let me know. I posted that announcement about clubs just in case there were any clubs out there that wanted there own forum. I have this big ole server, I just want to see it used.

Ferrett 1962
07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
I check almost every day for new posts = more info but only have something to add every now and then.

632 Regal
07-29-2012, 10:33 PM
I think it is a lot of surfing going on, we come up hard in the search engines. I try to answer anything I know about from memory. I don't drive either of mine much and only have an issue with one so I am active in my own post ;-]

It's been a long time but perhaps I banned all the fvcking asshats and they don't want to rejoin cause I wrote all their IP's down? (not a stupid mod on this site) lol.

Our cars are old and there is so much dis-information out there that maybe they are just running in circles chasing their tails. Once a few catch on and get answers we can grow the population again.

Ed you making it real tough for people to join or some ****? I know if I have to wait to be approved I travel on.

Just sayin.

93 525 Paul
07-31-2012, 08:23 PM
I think it is a lot of surfing going on, we come up hard in the search engines.
It's been a long time but perhaps I banned all the fvcking asshats and they don't want to rejoin cause I wrote all their IP's down? (not a stupid mod on this site) lol.

Our cars are old and there is so much dis-information out there that maybe they are just running in circles chasing their tails. Once a few catch on and get answers we can grow the population again.

Ed you making it real tough for people to join or some ****? I know if I have to wait to be approved I travel on.

Just sayin.

I like chasing off the asshats, no problem with that. I do see the post whores elsewhere making lame posts like "what he said" and "+1" and I don't endorse that crap. But I do think a post that says, "Shogun, thanks for your continued brilliance..." is a good thing. Or a post that says, "I can't find the windshield trim how to. Anyone had any luck with that?" or even, "I just did the door handle gaskets, there is a great thread on that at zyzabc"
We need to be a bit more communicative so we have evidence of the frequency of visits.

632 Regal
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
+1 ^ what he said

LMAO!

632 Regal
07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Ed can we get a thanks button or something that shows when someone thinks you did a good job they can show their thanks?

Careful though if it's an add on, one forum got the snot beat out of it and had to reformat due to some hijack of the server or so they say.

bimmer nut
08-01-2012, 09:24 AM
I do manually approve all new members. I check on it about once a day, so yes, it is not immediate. So yes, I supposed they could be discouraged by that.

And Jeff, there is a Like Button to the right of posts right now. I just clicked on it, and it's not doing what it's supposed to do. I'll have to double check to see if it's installed incorrectly or something. brb

bimmer nut
08-01-2012, 09:25 AM
The Like button works. Try it. It's to the right of every post.

632 Regal
08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Hahaha Ed is a NooB!

I see the like button now, who would have thought it would be way on the right...

Come fix my 850 man!

93 525 Paul
08-03-2012, 04:25 PM
OK I take back calling the +1 thing crap. It's better than no response at all. You know on Lincolnvscadillac.com their main forum is the LS forum. On there a weak post or an odd comment is HAMMERED by the frequent posters. I don't recall seeing any unprovoked newbie abuse like that here so I don't think that's a factor. We just seem to be a VERY reserved bunch.
I do think more frequent posts by the old guard would be helpful. Lots of people judge a tech board by new post frequency. When you see the related posts down below and they are all six years old it's a bit off-putting.
IMHO...