PDA

View Full Version : tricks needed, steering + suspension questions, replacing worn parts

alex 1993 525i auto
07-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Hi, I'm looking for advice on a few things:

1- When replacing outer tie rods, the through-bolt from the end spins while I'm trying to tighten the nut... on the end which connects to the center tie-rod. I tried to hold it with a c-clamp or the bushing extractor without any success, any trick someone? (my impact driver can't access this space...)

2- Is there several model of spring compressor? (the one I got is too long to compress the spring properly)

3- Also when removing the pitman arms (rear, dogbones), a M14 bolt broke with the remaining inside the trailing arm (about 0.5 cm remains out), what's the best procedure to remove it?

Thanks

shogun
07-03-2012, 07:03 PM
1:
This can be tricky – the ball joint likes to spin on its own rather than tightening. I used a heavy-duty Irwin quick-grip clamp to hold the ball joint’s taper securely into the suspension while I tightened. Once it starts snugging up, remove the clamp and tighten to 28 ft-lb.

3: How To Extract a Broken Screw, or Bolt
How To Extract a Broken Screw, or Bolt. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iyJtGNemq4)

632 Regal
07-03-2012, 07:05 PM
#1 - Use a regular metric nut to tighten it down, then remove it and torque it with the locking nut.

#2 - yes there are, do you mean the long bolts are too long? I remember having to mess with it a but when I did mine.

#3 - Torch? That's an ugly problem to have.