PDA

View Full Version : Used DME, worth it?

jfs356
05-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Going to the salvage yard to get some pieces for my E34 tomorrow. Is it worth getting the engine management DME unit (located in passenger side engine compartment)? What is a decent price, see them on Ebay all over the map? Will be getting all the relays anyway and maybe the fuel pump/fuel sender unit.

Ferrett 1962
05-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Are you rebuilding / repairing an e34? do you need a DME? spare parts can be usefull to get but check the last three numbers of the DME are the same as yours. I would try to go under the prices off ebay as low as possible and work from there and only go as high as you think fair you might be able to work a bulk parts price for the lot, just my thoughts.

jfs356
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply, I don't need the DME, but know they can go bad and will deadline the car. I always get all the fuses, relays, spare light bulbs, etc. just for extras. I will check the DME numbers, did not think of that, but the car is same year/model as mine ('94 530i). Also plan to get fog lights and one good ellipsoid headlight.

Bill R.
05-16-2012, 02:20 PM
At the local u pullit parts places here i usually get everything thats still on the car. DME, trans module, LKM. Headlight switch, window switches, door lock actuators, gas flap lock actuator. Trip computer, dash cluster, all the relays Window regulators if they are still good , seat switches and motors, when i put all the stuff on the counter in one lump they usually just quote me a price for everything, and its always cheaper than one or two items alone would be.

jfs356
05-16-2012, 09:04 PM
That's smart, since they can't easily price each item, you get the "bundled" price.

south26
05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
when parting cars I tend to sell the dme for around 50.

Andy

Dave M
05-17-2012, 10:06 PM
I have had one go bad. Research what PNs you can use and get it if you can. Its great to have when trying to diagnose issues (assuming its a good one ; ) ). And like Bill said, get a bunch of other stuff. For diagnosing, try the ICV, Temp sensors, crank sensor, coils (if applicable), TPS etc............

Dave