PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst model with O2 sensor?

Unregistered
06-18-2004, 03:27 AM
The delivery sheet of my '89 525i (euro) states:
TYP: 525 I KATALYSATOR
I would say that means it has (or had) a Catalytic Converter.
However, upon inspection of the undercarriage, I can't find the cat and no O2 sensor either. I would guess that these were removed by the previous owner because we only got unleaded fuel here in the Philippines starting in 1998.
My question is, if the O2 sensor was indeed taken out, won't this affect how the engine runs? Won't the ecu get a constantly lean (or rich?) signal from the O2 sensor port?

Thanks,
Philip

Paul in NZ
06-18-2004, 03:48 AM
i would say that your car never had a cat or o2 sensor.I have a 535i which supposededly had a cat but like you NZ got unleaded petrol only after my car was sold.The ignition timing and fuel injection maps will be "fixed" and will respond to all appriate inputs.....the o2 sensor is not one of them on our cars......I am sure that you can retro fit if you really want.

Bill R.
06-18-2004, 09:43 AM
The delivery sheet of my '89 525i (euro) states:
TYP: 525 I KATALYSATOR
I would say that means it has (or had) a Catalytic Converter.
However, upon inspection of the undercarriage, I can't find the cat and no O2 sensor either. I would guess that these were removed by the previous owner because we only got unleaded fuel here in the Philippines starting in 1998.
My question is, if the O2 sensor was indeed taken out, won't this affect how the engine runs? Won't the ecu get a constantly lean (or rich?) signal from the O2 sensor port?

Thanks,
Philip