PDA

View Full Version : Slow with old age

Ferrett 1962
05-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Now I feel old, When I got the 525 I knew it had been damaged on the front left side by P/O and repaired but I thought it didn't look quite right and it dawned on me finally. It was fixed on the cheap and while it has the wide grill the idiots who repaired it used the bonnet from the narrow grill car, there is also a bulge in the bumper cover that I knew about and I thought it was damaged slightly so they pulled it straight and remounted it and I was going to replace it at some stage but it turns out the bulge is caused by the steel bumper that they never bothered to replace. Ok so I just got a wide grill bonnet off ebay for $50 and when I can get it from Melbourne will get it painted and fitted but does anyone in Sydney or Melbourne have a bumper they want to sell so I can get it looking right at last I am in Canberra so anywhere around here would be good.

Dave M
05-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Can't help with the bumper, but I do like your post title and honesty :D Would love to see a pic of the wide grill, narrow hood.

Dave

Ferrett 1962
05-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Here it is and the problem sticks out like dogs balls but in my defence it the first bmw I have owned or had anything to do with. If you look at the bumper on the right hand side as you look at the picture you can see the bulge just below the grill and that is putting everything out of alignment.

Dave M
05-05-2012, 08:59 AM
I see both issues, but the bumper bulge actually interferes more with the 'flow' than the hood. I don't think the hood/grill looks all that bad. Great looking car BTW.

Ferrett 1962
05-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I look forward to getting it fixed though and if I have the cash I am thinking of getting all the little chips and knocks fixed and a complete respray and I might look for a body kit as well, nothing too harsh but just enough to set it apart I will have to see how the cash goes.7633
You can see from this angle how far out the bumper is and how bad the narrow bonnet looks.

Ferrett 1962
05-05-2012, 09:25 AM
The wide bonnet comes forward in the centre where as the narrow is almost straight so this is what it looks like from the top and you can see from pic 3 that the bulge won't let the grill / light surround go all the way in.

Ross
05-08-2012, 11:31 AM
The bumper reinforcement is aluminum and simple to remove, especially if the plastic rivets that hold the cover on aren't in place. I'll bet they are not in this case.
You might be able to apply some force to your existing reinforcement and save it.

Ferrett 1962
05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't know if the price is correct but I found front bumper for $139 delivered though I will look at wreckers first all I need is straight but I won't pull the old one off till I can replace it I don't know if I can get it back on if I can't get it straight I don't know what was involved in getting it on as it is and the last thing I want is half the front missing if it won't go on again it is holding together at the moment and I am waiting for delivery of halo lights in deep blue and new bonnet I will get everything for the front end together first and spend a weekend putting it together. I also got two front guards in the same colour as my car on ebay for $1.05 also in melbourne for spares since the e34 is getting older and if anything happens I will have them and I would like a body kit before I get the bonett sprayed what do you think of this kit Sarona Body Kit - Full Kit for 89-95 BMW 5_Series at Andy's Auto Sport (http://www.*******************/bmw/1989_1995_5_series/exterior/body_kits/sarona/saro00129450.html).

genphreak
05-10-2012, 08:00 AM
It comes off really easily (lay down a sheet to prevent it getting scratched when you do). Just undo two 17mm nuts behind the trims. Electrical connector disconnects on the LHS. Once off, the lump you can fix by heating the local area using a heat gun or hairdryer perhaps form the underside. Let it cool with some pressure on the area (careful, you must do this without damaging the paint with any point loads).

I can arrange a wide bonnet (in Sydney), perhaps can swap for the narrow one!

Ferrett 1962
05-10-2012, 08:10 AM
I have a wide bonnet I think from Melbourne from ebay but I will sell the narrow one if you make me an offer just need to cover the cost of the one from Melbourne what colour are you looking for mine is arctic silver and in perfect condition. The lump sems to be in the metal part of the bumper not the cover so what I need is the bumper it's self not the plastic cover I just want to get everything together before I pull anything off.

genphreak
05-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Sorry for the late reply! The bulge is in the aluminium? In that case you can bend it back really easily with a rubber hammer. I'm all out of funds atm, but I am interested in your bonnet if we can hook it up at a later date. I'd prefer a black or dark metallic grey one, (I have a granitesilber car).

Ferrett 1962
05-20-2012, 08:42 AM
When I get the bonnet from Melbourne I will be interested in selling my old one in arctic silver so mabey a bit lighter than your car I mostly want to cover the cost of getting it here so the price will depend on that (haven't looked yet but i will let you know ) in another post I said I got lucky and when my uncle went to collect the guards I got for $1.05 the guy said he had a bonnet like the one I got from ebay and threw it in for free so if he is right I will have a wide grill bonnet in arctic silver plus a spare in dark blue and a spare set of guards I will contact you soon to see if you want the old one. Check your PM's

Noel1
05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi friends.
You should must be drive slow your car or other vehicle when you are old in age because
you are not not in position to break your car suddenly