PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge middle

BennyM
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to post a picture of my temp gauge and see what you guys think. I know from memory that this needle used to point smack dab in the middle on my car, but lately (both before and after replacing cooling components) it's been sitting just a tick to the left. Even with AC on, operating temp seems just a hair to the left at all times. Both coolant sensors are about two years old. The old T-stat was the 87 degree variety, the new one is 92 degrees. Makes no difference except that the needle reaches "near-middle" a little faster.

What would cause a minor deviation on something like this?
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/bennyboym/8983435d.jpg

Bo525i
04-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Thatīs where mine sits too!

Paul in NZ
04-28-2012, 12:19 AM
thats where mine used to sit too

Mordan
04-28-2012, 04:11 AM
i have a similar more pronounced issue on 2 of my engines.

On one i changed the radiator cap and it was a little better. Still needle sits 11h30 except in traffic jam where it sits pretty at 12h. Maybe the mechanical fan clutch engages when it shouldn't.

On the second M20B25, as soon as I go fast, the temperature drops a little. I guess that's because I removed the noise/heat insulation on the hood.

mzarifkar
05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
My e34 on a good day will sit there too, I think they found out I obsessed about it so on the E39 they got rid of the middle marker

shogun
05-23-2012, 02:55 AM
that thing is anyway a guess-ometer. Just for fun I tried 3 clusters one after the other just to see where the needle stands and then immy started the car again. I checked with a no contact thermometer the temperature of the radiator, all 3 times the same, but the clusters showed all slightly different temperatures.

Looks fine, even when it is a mm after 12 o' clock