PDA

View Full Version : Parts Question - 1990 535 vs. 1997 528

vping
04-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Will Rear shocks from a 1990 535 fit on a 1997 528?

I bought these for the 535 and now that it is up for sale I want to try and use them on the new car. If not, I'll add it as a package deal to the 535 sale.

Are there any other parts that cross with that car?

I should probably list that car here for sale and see if anyone wants to buy it.

Cheers,
Vince

genphreak
04-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Will Rear shocks from a 1990 535 fit on a 1997 528?

I bought these for the 535 and now that it is up for sale I want to try and use them on the new car. If not, I'll add it as a package deal to the 535 sale.

Are there any other parts that cross with that car?

I should probably list that car here for sale and see if anyone wants to buy it.

Cheers,
Vince

Hey Vince, the shocks are not interchangeable between those cars even physically.

Good luck w the sale though.

vping
04-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Hey Vince, the shocks are not interchangeable between those cars even physically.

Good luck w the sale though.

Thanks. After I posted I did a little research and seems that the model changes around 1995 so not many parts will interchange.

In terms of the sale I got a few leads but tough with a blown head gasket. I made an offer to someone I work with and he's thinking about it. New brakes, tires, struts and a Re-built auto trans all in the past 10k miles. Gotta find someone to keep it alive. The interior is still mint black leather and there is zero rust on the body.

shogun
04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
very easy with cross reference on RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog (http://www.realoem.com)

find out the part number of the part
go to realoem start again and paste the number into search by part number and all BMW models will pop up where the same part number is used

genphreak
04-20-2012, 03:25 AM
A head gasket job is not impossible but should be done with skilled supervision, even on an M30. It is a 2 day job unless you are really good, but w old m30s, it will only be the gasket in most cases, esp. if the engine was not cooked. People used to working on other makes can fail and there are plenty of those that end up at the boneyard. Also, they should use water until the engine is sealed up (after a few days driving and the re-torque to stop coolant going into the cylinders, getting vaporised and destroying the cats)

Ross
04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
No suspension parts interchanges between E34 series and E39.
Post them FS here, they will add little value to your broken car.
M30 headgasket job isn't hard and unless well cooked the M30 head usually survives(check it to be sure)without warping.
Your car sounds worth repairing. If it were a thousand miles nearer I'd be a customer.
Good luck.