PDA

View Full Version : Front End Alignment Adjustments ??

Katmandu
03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Just got my 94 530i out of the shop this afternoon after having a front end alignment performed.

It's still pulling to the left, but not near as bad as when I took it in.

The mechanic gave me the spec sheet and said everything was ok. I took his word for it (in a hurry to get to work) and I did not look at it.

Got here to work and looked at the specs. The front left Caster is clearly OUT.... 7.17', the right front Camber clearly OUT..... -1.07' and the front Cross Camber is also clearly OUT...... 0.93'.

Going on a whim, but I'm assuming there is NO adjustment points for Caster/Camber on our E34s ?

If so, looks like I'm going to have to put a foot in the mechanics butt! blackeye

Tiger
03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Yep.... no castor or chamber adjustment... only toe. A smart alignment guy would know how to compensate for the drifting... just adjust the toe more to stop it. Sometime their machine is off so the alignment is not proper.

Be sure your tire pressure is all the same. One or two PSI difference is enough to make car drift to one side. So be absolutely sure your tire pressure on all 4 tires is spot on.

ahlem
03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
You can also get wandering due to problems in the rear end suspension. On my car, I have K mac front adjusters. I need to change control arms and tie rod ends shortly and will set it to M5 specs. If your car is lowered, you could get wandering due to excess camber in the rear.

Katmandu
03-10-2012, 08:51 AM
You can also get wandering due to problems in the rear end suspension.My car does have a worn out rubber mount in the right, rear subframe... Would that cause it to pull hard left ?

ahlem
03-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Possibly if it has shifted anything backwards. How are the trailing arm bushings? I recently changed some subframe mounts in an e30 and it made a noticeable difference in the handling. Still have to get the front end aligned to see what the final effect will be.