PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box

gjmane36
03-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Is it possible for the steering box to develop enough play in it for it to clunk as well as shimmy?

gjmane36
03-07-2012, 06:15 AM
I think my steering box is the source of a clunk in my front end. I have checked the u-joints and they appear to be pretty solid without slack. They move without any delay. Is it possible that the steering box is the source of a clunking sound and shimmy?

Tiger
03-07-2012, 01:54 PM
If you suspect your steering box is at fault, you would know it inside the car on steering wheel... you got alot of play by wiggling side to side before you feel the engagement of the gears. Try adjusting steering box if you feel it is the problem.

south26
03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I would guess either your end links are just flopping all about, or your control arm bushings are dead and need to go.

Andy

shogun
03-08-2012, 01:59 AM
BMW E34 Website (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Steering/steering_link.htm)
Steering play can be caused by the steering box, steering links or one of the universal joints of the steering column
BMW E34 Website (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Steering/Steering_box.htm)

gjmane36
03-08-2012, 06:06 AM
I checked the u-joints on the steering shaft with no play. The upper control arms are about three months old with PowerFlex bushings. The lower control arms are less than two months old. The idler arm and tie rods are about one month old. The sway bar links were changed out in September. The center link ball joints didn't have any play. I adjusted the steering column nut which was too tight and replaced the steering flex joint becaused it had tares around each of the bolt holes.

gjmane36
03-08-2012, 06:12 AM
There seems to be a clunk generating from the steering box. I can move the tire by grabing it from 9 - 3 with about 1 to 2 inches of play or wiggle with a clunk sound. I can move the steering wheel with the same clunk. I tighten the bolt that holds the steeing box down with some decrease in the shimmy in the front end, smoother at lower speeds. But, there is still a clunk or raddle with shimmy.

Tiger
03-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Try adjusting the steering gearbox... there is a adjustment screw. I think you need to source a used or new steering gearbox. Try looking on ebay.

gjmane36
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Oh and Thanks!

gjmane36
03-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I will try the adjustment this weekend and post the results.

gjmane36
03-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I tried adjusting the steering box using the 540i technique but was unable to break the bold loose. I tried from the top using the two u-joints. I could not keep the socket secure on the nut. I switch the u-joints around in every order I could possibly try. I tried from the bottom using a u-joint socket wrench, but did not have enough hand strength (darn arthritis). Eight hours later I called it and put it back together...

Is there an alternate technique that my possibly work to break the bolt loose?

gjmane36
03-20-2012, 04:39 AM
I did find that the cluncking, play, and shimmy is from the steering box. I have had no success in loosing the nut to make the adjustment.

I also had a hard time finding an indy that would or could do the adjustment. I found one locally that has done the adjustment on older MB and understood the difficulty in getting to the adjustment screw. I will post the outcome.

genphreak
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
You probably know but you may need a new steering box. Not sure if you have to remove the engine to get it out but the mounting bolts are all on the Right side chassis rail. You may have to snake your way to the column flex disc bolts from underneath. It is a variotronic box so would be worth getting reconditioned, unless you can find a good second hand one.

Tiger
03-20-2012, 01:36 PM
You can always install non-Servotronic unit too... save a whole lotta money.

gjmane36
03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
What would the difference between the two?

gjmane36
03-20-2012, 09:32 PM
I found this on a BMW Technology Guide

The Servotronic control unit adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the speed of the vehicle. An electromagnetic valve accurately controls the amount of force applied by the steering hydraulics, enabling outstandingly precise steering that suits your current driving situation. Conventional power steering systems, by contrast, regulate the power steering in relation to the engine's RPM. The electromechanical steering system EPS uses an electric motor to achieve the same effect.

Tiger
03-20-2012, 10:39 PM
"Same effect"

genphreak
03-23-2012, 04:47 AM
SO there's a motor in the box? No wonder! I have 2 e34s with it so am looking forward to dealing with this issue one day. I do love the way they drive though...

Tiger
03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
An electronic valve.

gjmane36
03-23-2012, 07:21 PM
I had my steering box adjusted today. It took 2.5 turns. There is still a clunk, not as bad but still present. The steering is tighter. Corning is better, but only a marginal difference on center. The shop was great, Blagoi's International, Columbus OH. They have adjusted steering boxes on MB, but a first for BMW. They checked the front end and found it to be pretty solid. Handling is better.

The final verdic is the steering box is pretty worn and will need replacement.

genphreak
03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Ahh. I heard they are more expensive to recondition. Any idea why? Just need the right things to take it apart to find out I guess.

gjmane36
03-25-2012, 05:35 AM
I found a source for a used parts, http://www.bmrparts.com.