PDA

View Full Version : 5 cylinder

Ferrett 1962
03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
My toy has developed a problem, sounds like it only running on 5 not 6 cylinders when I start it but smooths out as the revs come up. I pulled the cover off the engine to find one of the coils is different from the others and an odd colour can anyone tell me if this looks right and how to test the coil packs

Dave M
03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Bremi coil, nothing odd about it, any one of those coils could be bad, BUT, start with basics.

If you really feel it spark related, pull the plugs, check their color for indications of poor ignition. Check the ceramics closely for cracks. When were they changed last? I had a subtle miss that took forever to diagnose because the crack in one ceramic was very slight. If they all check out, then check the rubber coil boots for cracks, exessive wear, deterioration. If all is good, test the coils ala Belntley instructions and a multimeter (if you don't have a Bentley, ask and I'll post the page).

Others will in what I've missed....

Good luck with it,

Dave

shogun
03-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Bremi 11855 T is for BMW, Bremi says
BREMI - PREMIUM CAR SYSTEMS | Ignition Technology | Ignition cable sets | Ignition Coils | Glow plugs | Distributor Caps (http://www.en.bremi.de/produktdetail?artnbr=11855T)
1703360 BMW fits also on E34 besides many other BMW

BMW E34 E36 ignition coil 320i 325i 520i 525i M50 1703360
E34 - 520i, 525i - M50

E36 - 320i, 325i - M50
Testing, quote.....
How to test an ignition coil (http://www.freeengineinfo.com/how-to-test-an-ignition-coil.htm)
A standard car’s distributor ignition coil can be tested by checking the ohms reading. Ohms can be read on a volt/ohms meter. Ohms is a unit of measure for the resistance that a wire or coil has. Ignition coils should be measured on the primary coil between batt and tach terminals. The batt is the coil ground. To check the secondary coil, check the ohms between the batt terminal and where the coil output wire plugs into. If the ohms read zero the coil connection is broken and the coil is no good. An open coil reading zero is the usual culprit of coils. Don’t test through the output wire though. The primary coil should read between .7 ohms and 1.7 ohms, if outside this range replace it. The secondary coil should generally read between 7.5K ohms and 10.5K ohms. If the ohms are not within the specified range for that paticular car, replace the coil. Coil resistance will also change and vary if the coil is hot or cold. This a generalized ohms range that fits most distributor coils. Another thing to remember is that sometimes a coil will only read bad after it gets hot. It may work intermittently after it gets hot also. Coil packs will generally read around .3 to 1.5 ohms on the primary side and 12.5K to 13.5K ohms on the secondary side. These figures will get you reasonably close to where the coil’s ohms need to be to work properly
How To Test Your Coil - Ignition Coil Testing - Test Your Coil For No Spark - Ignition Troubleshooting (http://autorepair.about.com/od/troubleshooting/ss/coiltest-manual.htm)
How To Test Ignition Coils - Testing Igntion Coils - How To Articles (http://www.quickcashauto.com/How-To-Articles/How-To-Test-Ignition-Coils.html)

Coil Test - Testing Your Ignition Coil - Coil Resistance Test - How To Test Your Ignition Coil With an Ohmeter (http://autorepair.about.com/od/troubleshooting/ss/coil-test-ohm.htm)
probably the best is to do it with a oscilloscope

Ferrett 1962
03-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks I was unsure about the colour difference I havn't had the car long enough to have to poke around it much it has been perfect till now and it is getting around time to service it ( plugs, oil, filters and such ) anyway the problem has just shown up last week but I havn't been driving it so I will do the service anyway and see what happens. I don't know when it was last done I was told it was just before I got it and as I said it has been perfect till now although I think it may be down on power and using more fuel in the last month or so,I am not a young race driver I like it more for cruising which it still does well.

Ferrett 1962
03-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Just started the car again (yet to do the plugs) the engine ran smoother but I could hear a strong sucking noise from the intake side. Wondering could the rough idle be a new leak in a hose under the manifold or is it normal noise. As I said I am not yet used to what is normal on this car.

genphreak
03-10-2012, 07:52 AM
The culprit is likely to be a split TB hose/boot, the ICV hose or its manifold to host connector. These have a viton o-ring and a dodgy clip holding them in to the underside of the ITM, and can simply pop out leaving a massive airloeak.

The Bremic coil odd man out is probably a replacement as they are common when you order new ones. Pehaps one of the other 5 has now gone? Better test em all...

Ferrett 1962
03-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks everyone I am off the road at the moment so I am going to do a bit with the car. The vacuum noise was probebly always there but louder with the engine covers off I will mark and remove some to check, they are neglected till something goes wrong. Started the car again after a couple of days and it is smooth as a new engine again no misfire at all and this is the first hint at the age of the car so a little preventative work is in order. I havn't looked to see if there is oil in the plug wells as I have read but i might get the air hose out and blow some of the loose paint off in case it gets where it shouldn't when I change the plugs.Since the coils are all the same and it dosn't matter where the go I see they have been marked by someone and I wonder if there was a problem at some timeand they were marked to identify a similar problem.

Paul in NZ
03-10-2012, 03:47 PM
5 cylinders on start up.......for me that indicated a head gasket :(

Rustam
03-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Please do see if you can simply check and compare the resistances of the coils.

Ferrett 1962
03-16-2012, 04:10 AM
Ok replaced the plugs and looked at the old ones and it looks to be oil fouled plugs by the post on plug condition
76097610 If anyone can read them better canyou give me an idea how bad it is and what needs to be done to fix the problem. The car has only been driven for short trips for a while 5k or so so could this be the problem and should I be doing some longer runs every now and then or htter plugs or what.

Tiger
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Your valve cover is leaking oil into the spark plugs. Based on the oil on the spark plug thread. Didn't read the rest of the thread... did you change the coil pack boots?

Ferrett 1962
03-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Nothing in the plug wells all looked fairly clean in there this is how they came out of the car numbers 1 to 6 from the right in the photo they look oily but the smell was very strong fuel this is why I was wondering if it could be I only drive about 5 or 6 km a day and if it could be all it needs is a good run looks a bit like oil fouling combined with carbon build up but there was a very strong smell of fuel on every one of the plugsand the car is running smoth again.The next step is new air filter and the car has 206000km so I might do an oil change and go a little thicker oil for an older engine and see if that works. The car dosn't use any oil at all in the time I have owned itthe level has not changed (10000km) so I hope it is just a matter of some higher rpm running for a few km to clear any deposits out of the cylinders.

Tiger
03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Okay. the strong smell of fuel is a sign of leaky fuel injector. That would be consistent to what you are seeing on the spark plug.

At this time, I would not worry about oil... if it is oil problem, your spark plug would be soaked with oil when you took it out. Also you would get a puff of blue smoke when you blipped the throttle.

Ferrett 1962
03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks could be right but all 6 had the same look and smell I hope it dosn't mean 6 injectors have a problem although I hope to have the cash soon to do a bit of upgrading soon now is not the time but it drives ok for now I will keep an eye on things to make sure it doesn't get any worse good to knowthe bottom end and valves seem ok if that is the case. It runs well most of the time and I would like to do a chip at some stage (realy I would like a 6psi supercharger just to get a little more kick down low) so I am hoping the basic unit is sound I have plans to make it into a great all round driving machine.

Tiger
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
It is not expensive to pull injectors out and send it to be cleaned by legitimate injector rehab center... I think around $18 each. They will replace all seals, caps and filter.

I got a set cleaned and the engine is running very smooth... never felt engine so smooth like that... especially BMW V8.

Do a compression test and/or leakdown test to make sure the engine is good to go before you do the modifications.

Paul in NZ
03-16-2012, 03:22 PM
it needs an italian tune up......really :)

Ferrett 1962
03-16-2012, 08:53 PM
The mods are a while off yet it is just distant plans at this stage. If I went with all the things I would like to do I would have a rebuild done and upgrade the gearbox as well it is only the A5S 310Z and I would worry about putting too much through it, no good doing the motor if the gearbox goes into meltdown. Thanks for the ideas I will look into injector rebuild, at 200000km it can only help.

Grantus
04-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Put a can of injector cleaner in your fuel tank. It can work wonders.

Ferrett 1962
04-03-2012, 05:16 AM
It has been a while since I changed the plugs and no more problems and it runs smooth, starts easy I didn't do the injectors yet I have to look around as I was quoted $35 each to do them so I might buy a kit online and just get them cleaned and put together in a shop since I think they are charging me way too much for filters and "o" rings. If I listen to the exhaust note it is smooth whit no indication of a miss and the tacho is steady as a rock with no dip in revs.

genphreak
04-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Just send em over to the folks at okinjectors.com, Toby does a better job than any I know, and at $22 each they are at least proven to be good- he flows them properly.

Ferrett 1962
04-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Do you mean Oklahoma? That is what comes up when I search you know I am in Australia don't you it would cost me more to send them there than get them done here even with great service I am sure there are closer places.

genphreak
04-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Yep. Toby charges $38 shipping to return them but can do several sets for that. It costs less to send via AP. All of that is an overhead, but I can't find anyone local to do the right job and local shipping costs a bit too. They all bodge it up or overcharge. I have done my own before, but one needs to flow old injectors and make sure they are all up to spec, let alone in line before sending them back.

Ferrett 1962
04-08-2012, 05:14 AM
The BMW owners club here in Canberra recomended a guy A. Costello they say is very good I will look into it further before sending to the US. Knowing my luck they would go missing after he finished them and I would be up for new ones plus the cost of his work. ( thats just the way my life works ). Since you are in Sydney if you come across a cheap front bumper cover for e34 could you let me know mine got a hit before I got it and the didn't replace it they just pulled it straight and left a bulg on the top and it is pushing on the centre grill section and nothing lines up. It is all together but does not sit right.