PDA

View Full Version : Stop the flashing !

MGerber
03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
My daughter has a '91 E34, purchased about six months ago, which seems to have an alarm system installed by a third party. I say this because there is a small red light installed on the dash between the headlight and instrument lighting switches.

About two weeks ago, something apparently set off this alarm which has resulted in that small red light continuously blinking and the emergency flashers staying on for an extended period of time (no horn or other alarm sounded off, though). We haven't figure out how to turn off or reset the alarm. In the meantime, the car has had to be jump started several times because those flasher drain it after a few hours. And now the car will not even turn over when she tries to jump it

A couple of questions:

1. It's my guess that jumping the car that many times has finally killed the battery and we need a new one. Would that be correct?

2. I'm reluctant to install a new battery while we still have this emergency flasher problem. I have not been able to find a copy of the fuse layout, but would pulling the flashers' fuse or its relay stop the flashing without disrupting anything else? And, if so, which one would that be?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

shogun
03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
if it is an aftermarket system, we cannot help you, as we do not know the system and where they put the fuses, you have to check the wiring. Original wiring diagrams with all fuse locations etc are here
BMW Wiring Diagrams (http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/)

Tiger
03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
It is most likely the battery is already on the last leg. Alarm system will act funny with low battery voltage. You can have battery tested at any autoparts store for free. Although you will have to fully charge up the battery to test it.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you have an stereo shop replace the alarm system... the cost is probably about the same whether to replace it or delete it.