PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal question

6670charger
02-20-2012, 03:37 AM
Have a euro spec 520i; 1991. Yesterday the left turn indicator in the dash stopped working. I checked the outer left turn signal lights and they all flash on and off when the switch is activated. Right side works fine for the whole system.

I assume the problem is something in the dash cluster. Not sure what, as I can't find any reference in the Bentley manual.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

shogun
02-20-2012, 07:58 AM
bulb dead?
dash (http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/airBagAndBulbs.html)

6670charger
02-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Was wondering about that. Seems as though the bulb is the only thing not working. Odd thing is that the flasher unit on that side now clicks faster than on the other side where the bulb is good. Guessing that the resistance or current is upset by the bulb not working, and affecting the rest of the system on the left side. Had an old Chrysler once that had the little turn signal indicators on the far front corners of the front fenders. When one of those bulbs would go out, the whole side would stop functioning altogether until you changed the bulb.

genphreak
02-27-2012, 06:16 AM
In a BMW the indicator lights flash at double the speed when one bulb, any bulb in the circuit is out. Not sure if that includes the cluster but it is possible (unlikely). Re-check all your bulbs and if all are working, check each- maybe a filament is on the way out and only failing in low temperatures or in the heat, etc.

6670charger
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
OK. Must be the bulb in the cluster. All of the exterior lights seem to be working fine.