PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the 535, intake gasket job

rockin1978TA
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Well, I've decided to keep the old 89 535i, instead of shopping for another used car. I was trying to decided if it would be more economically to fix some of the needed repairs, or bight the bullet and buy someone elses car with who knows what problems could arise. Long story short, I just got a box of parts from BMA. New radiator, hoses, oil filter, thermostat, belts and intake gaskets. Any tips on the intake gaskets? I've been limping her along for about 2 years by sealing the leak at the #1 intake and head with permatex copper. What other parts should I look at replacing with the intake. I've seen injectors on ebay, but seems like different size or flow rates are available. Any tips on removal and installation is appreciated.

Tiger
02-16-2012, 12:01 AM
All easy job. Make sure you got a torque wrench for the intake job. Always torque everything on BMW.

Fuel injector... do not buy ebay injectors. I did that and destroyed my engine. How? The injector was stuck open and flooded my cylinder and hydrolocked the engine. Instead, I recommends you pull the injectors out and send it out for thorough rebuild and cleaning.

I got a Bentley E34 manual for sale if you want one.

rockin1978TA
02-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Looks pretty straight forward, the back bolts look like a pain though. Probably want to get the throttle body cleaned as well. I've got the Bentley on CD. Take it I should replace the fuel and vacume hoses as well. I'm certain the injectors need to be cleaned, seeing the previous owner used water in the radiator,(hense the radiator replacement) and duct tape on everything else. Injectors were probably not on his list of maintanance. I've had her for 4 years, can't see my self getting rid of her for a toyota or other high milage import. She still handles and pulls like no other. I've got an old pontiac trans am that I've been slowly restoring over the years, this is my new to work and drive project.

Tiger
02-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Then you are all good to go. Don't dread... dreading makes you drag your feet. When you do it, then you would be like... why did I keep dragging my feet?

Remember to torque the bolts according to what Bentley say... no higher than spec. 3/8" torque wrench is all you need. Even 1/4" torque wrench is very useful.