PDA

View Full Version : Idle control valve question

6670charger
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I have a friend who has a 97 520i with the M52 I6 engine and auto trans. The car won't idle well at all, and frequently cuts out at speeds of up to 40K. We've change the MAF, and that hasn't helped. A guy in the shop who knows BMWs well suggested that the Idle Speed/control valve may be need cleaning, or that the gasket near it may need to be replaced. He showed me a large round silver and black part that appeared to be under the intake manifold near the throttle body. When I look for Idle control valves on ebay or in parts stores to make sure I'm looking at the right part, they all show a silver cylindrical part with two hoses coming out of it in a "t" fashion, and an electrical plug underneath (see picture). I've seen this part on the engine, however, it's right up top of the engine and toward the front; not under the intake. This part also doesn't appear to have a gasket associated with it, as the larger part under the intake does.

So far, I can't find a pic of the part under the intake, as I apparently don't know what it's called.

Which of these is the Idle control valve?

Tiger
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
That is ICV... it rarely goes bad and usually very clean. The location you said you found it is correct. Just take it out and look inside the tube... should be clean.

Sounds like you got a vacuum leak... or intake manifold, intake tube leak... be absolutely sure that from MAF to the intake is tight with no crack and leak.

genphreak
02-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Check for smooth ICV operation, starting witha low voltage, note if it gets stuck when moving- or doesn't move properly/fully.

Rustam
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I have a friend who has a 97 520i with the M52 I6 engine and auto trans. The car won't idle well at all, and frequently cuts out at speeds of up to 40K. We've change the MAF, and that hasn't helped. A guy in the shop who knows BMWs well suggested that the Idle Speed/control valve may be need cleaning, or that the gasket near it may need to be replaced. He showed me a large round silver and black part that appeared to be under the intake manifold near the throttle body. When I look for Idle control valves on ebay or in parts stores to make sure I'm looking at the right part, they all show a silver cylindrical part with two hoses coming out of it in a "t" fashion, and an electrical plug underneath (see picture). I've seen this part on the engine, however, it's right up top of the engine and toward the front; not under the intake. This part also doesn't appear to have a gasket associated with it, as the larger part under the intake does.

So far, I can't find a pic of the part under the intake, as I apparently don't know what it's called.

Crankshaft position sensor, and camshaft position sensor - are these in good shape? Is the spacing within correct limits? I assume you checked the sparkplugs (had you?)...

Rustam
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Does the car have EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)? Is it clean inside? Does the valve yield smoothly to manual push? Does the pipe leading to the valve from exhaust have clean inside surface?

shogun
03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
some info on testing sensors etc
http://www.e30.eu/tech/E30ManualHaynescomplete.pdf