PDA

View Full Version : i want your thoughts

Tash_1991
01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
ok, so i've been searching high and low for the right set of 17"s for my waggie. and i'm going to pick up my set of AC Schnitzer type 2's on sunday. they have a few scratches and general grime etc.

The reason for this post, my waggie is cashmere beige, and i love the idea of black and gold everything. So i wanted to know what everyone thought of gloss black wheels, with a gold AC decal along one spoke on each wheel. Just to give it a slightly different look....??

thanks

Tiger
01-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Owning a black car... I'd scream no! The cleaning... the black paint showing dirt all the time.

My friend recently switched to chrome wheels.... and his wheels are dirty everytime I see his car.

Tash_1991
01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Hmmm.. I had satin black on my Audi and it was alright. I live in the country so its dirty whether i drive it or not! Damn dust storms! Well im goin to get them sunday, ill tidy them up and see how they look on the car silver, if not ill play around with black/gunmetal grey till i find something i like..

Tiger
01-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Gunmetal grey will be much easier to keep clean. My car has that now... gunmetal grey M5 replica.

Tash_1991
01-20-2012, 04:40 AM
Yeh im just not sure how that will go on a gold wagon, its already got black badging etc.. :/

Tash_1991
01-23-2012, 11:03 PM
got them all painted up yesterday, not a perfect shot but it looks good with the black!!

genphreak
01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Awesome! I like those rims. Are they 17x8.5/ET13mm? What are the tyres you have on them?

I reckon that's the only way to go on gold. Barry used to wear white I think, but heh, black is best by far! :)

Just look out w those Schnitzers- do they mount on the hub properly? Many were made for e39 which have larger hubs. These wheels, when mounted on an e34 can mount away from centre when you tighten the nuts, returning a quite wobbley drive. (it feels the same as unbalanced rims do on an e34).

If they are, just get some 'hubcentric rings'- they fit in the gap and centre everything up properly. I have spares if you have trouble getting them btw.

Tash_1991
01-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Theyr 17x7.5 ET 13mm. At about 70km/h its got a dreadful wobble in it, i had them balanced yesterday and got told they had a buckle in them (only slight) and the balance made them worse!!!!!! Im so annoyed because they look SO good! Does anyone know where a decent wheel repairer is in NSW that doesnt charge an arm and a leg?!

genphreak
01-24-2012, 07:30 PM
There is a guy in Thornleigh (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=wheel+repair+thornleigh&hl=en&cid=6600635034073509130). Wow, 7.5, never seen them in that width. I have a set of 8.5" that are Italian that I may use on the e28. 7.5" is a far nicer size for the street, and will look great with 235x40x17 which is an economical size to buy decent tyres in.

Are you sure the wobbles are from the wheel? Did those guys even know about the centre bore problem? There is no way anyone will see it as the difference is only a mm in bore size.

Tash_1991
01-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Well i know one wheel has a slight buckle in it, i can see the lump in it but i was too excited about getting them on the car i didnt swap the good tyre on it onto the spare wheel. theres every possibility that its centre bore related, i made a point of looking whether they had hub centric rings on them, but had a brain fade moment and thought nahh she'll be right! Lol cause i start my new job at Volvo in Orange next week, which means 120km driving a day in a 100k zone. Its undriveable at that speed, even driving to my boyfriends house in an 80km zone is unbearable!! Its not like a buckled wheel feeling, almost like dodgy wheel bearing or clapped out bushes.. Its weird

genphreak
01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Measure the bore of the spare, you want 72.56mm, from e39 onwards the bore on 5er wheels increased to 74.1mm

Tash_1991
01-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Ill run out and do that right now!

Tash_1991
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Well i had a look, but im a bit spastic with Verniers so i dont know how accurate it is :/ looks like the correct centre bore, so maybe they are just buckled... Awesome!!

Tiger
01-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Sounds like you got E39 wheels... and you need hubcentric shims to compensate... It is very easy to tell... wiht all lugbolts out... see if you can move the wheel up and down on the hub... if yes, you got E39 wheels.

Get a factory wheel and you will see it fir quite tight with no play.

Little dent on wheel have very little effect on balance... you just see a bit more weight for balancing. Alot of dent will surely cause wobbling. I actually had a friend's wheel that was massively dented so bad that you see the lips bent out and tire not even touching the rim... still perfectly balanced.

Tash_1991
01-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Hmmm... Im a little bit stumped, the rear wheels were a tight fit on the hub.. But ill have a go at it and if it moves ill get myself some hubcentric rings :/ the O/S/R one has a big dent in it, but my boyfriend is going to balance them at his work tonight to see if he can get it to stop wobbling.. :/

Tiger
01-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I am fortunate that i have access to a machine that is properly calibrated... by me... lol. it has been awhile since I calibrated that machine and not sure if anyone did... but still balanced. I think it can be even better if I recalibrate it.

I actually advised them on that machine, installed, leveled and anchored that machine to the floor perfectly. Zero problem after all these years.

I got terrible luck on balancing elsewhere... I don't think they even calibrate their machines. Today I balanced my SUV tires... the dealer balanced them 3 times and they never even removed old weights... they kept adding... I had 5 or 6 wheel weights on all of them... I didn't notice because these wheels does not allow wheel weight on outside... so tape weights and inside only...

Tash_1991
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Yeh i dont think they even tried to balance it out properly, they had stick on weights just behind the spokes, but these guys put them along the inside edge, so i dont think its right... But we'll have another crack tonight..

Tiger
01-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Tape weight along the inside edge is one of the balancing method... Some wheels does not allow any weight mounted on the face of the wheel... forcing you to do the tape weight along the inside edge. That's normal.

As long the balancer zero's out... the job is done. I usually double check the balance by having the machine spin it one more time. Sometime with a wheel or tire that has unusual problem... will show it is not balanced on second spin.

Then again, if the machine is not calibrated, then the zero out means nothing at all.

Tash_1991
01-26-2012, 05:56 AM
the fact that its worse is giving me the Sh!ts... but tomorrow i have access to a hoist so i can get a few things done....