PDA

View Full Version : Radio Left Front Speakers Out

BlackOnBlack
01-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Guys, my left speakers stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I have sound from the other 3 sides. It started with a little static in the midrange on the dash. The about a week later all 3 stopped working. I thought maybe the bad speaker caused all 3 to stop so I pulled the midrange and tested it in the other side and it worked.
So I guess the problem is in the head unit.
It's a stock head unit.
A couple of questions:
1: Can the head unit be easily repaired?
2: Can I just R&R it with something like an Alpine from Best Buy?

I don't have a lot of money to spend but the radio has always produced great sound and I miss it.

Any advice?

Ferrett 1962
01-15-2012, 03:03 AM
Could also be a problem with the crossover in the boot of the car left side behind the panel this splits the four chanel of the head unit for the 6 or ten speakers depending on what you have. Upgrading the head unit is easy just do a search on this site for related posts, I did mine and it works well I found a unit with changable display colours to and set it to match the dash but I would check out the amp/splitter in the boot first.

BlackOnBlack
01-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks Ferret. I didn't know that was there. I'll check it out.

Raym535
01-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I had a similar issue with my 93 E34. Left speaker in the kick panel and tweeter stopped working. I ended up replacing the amp located in the left corner of the trunk ( as Ferret mentioned) with a similar unit sourced from the local junk yard. Fixed my issue....for $20 if I remember.