PDA

View Full Version : E34 525iT Manual conversion questions

Tash_1991
01-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of converting my wagon to a manual and turbocharging it. In regards to the pedal box, is it vital to have an E34 one? or can i use one from other models? like E36 325i??? Just trying to get as much information as i possibly can before i start sourcing parts...

thanks!
Tash

M20Turbo
01-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello Tash.... Don Gales info (page_2 (http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm)) on auto to manual is a must read.

myles
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Hi Tash. I had to source a replacement box for my e36 and the cheapest option then was from the UK. I got a box from a 2003 320i for AU$400ish shipped. Should bolt straight onto your M50. I got mine from a reputable ebay seller.

The pedals in an e36 are very different to the e34s. The e34 has a pushrod to operate the brake pedal across the car to the master cyl and booster on the left, where the e36 has the master and booster on the right, so no pushrod. I think the only source for pedals is a manual e34.

Tash_1991
01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
damn.... because i was having a troll through RealOem.com, and apparently the box that would been in my car, had it have been manual, is also in the E30's! i happen to have one out the back LOL but i gave it to my little bro as a project car. the pedals is clearly going to be the hardest part....

genphreak
01-10-2012, 07:38 AM
I am surprised that the M50 gearbox is the same as M20- but it may well be.

Pedal box is the same on all e34, except the autos have a larger brake pedal and are missing the clutch pedal, spring and spring mount (a little tab with a hole in it). People often just weld that on remove the auto brake pedal and add the manual brake and clutch pedal, its easier than removing the exiting one and putting in one with the pedal. You will need the clutch reservoir and line (but it is easy to get that made). Just beware that insurance companies do not like modified cars Tash - check out your insurance costs with a manual conversion, let alone all that Forced Induction :-(

Tash_1991
01-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Yeh all iur insurance is thru shannons, all our race cars etc, and they give us a discount caus we have like 5 cars with them, theyr pretty good on modified cars...

Like dads Evo 9, with me listed as a driver at 17, it was only $900 comprehensive... So ill see what they say. It might not even be worth comprehensively insuring!!

As for the pedal bit.... Is there any info on the welding etc available?!? Because if i can avoid haveing to pull the column etc out, that would be ideal...

genphreak
01-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeh all iur insurance is thru shannons, all our race cars etc, and they give us a discount caus we have like 5 cars with them, theyr pretty good on modified cars...

Like dads Evo 9, with me listed as a driver at 17, it was only $900 comprehensive... So ill see what they say. It might not even be worth comprehensively insuring!!

As for the pedal bit.... Is there any info on the welding etc available?!? Because if i can avoid having to pull the column etc out, that would be ideal...

The tab is very small, it is just about 20mm of weld. I was figuring on drilling straight into the firewall and adding some stiff metal w a hole in it for the tab instead. Not easy to do though, due to the location (check what is on the other side of the firewall where you think you need to. It probably has two metal sheets there). Pedal boxes from the UK would be easy to get posted- though are heavy. If you can just get the B+C pedals, spring hardware, pedal pivot, reservoir, master and slave cylinders, ... you'll reduce the postage a lot.

myles
01-10-2012, 04:12 PM
The M20 and M50 manual boxes are different and I don't think you'll get a M20 box to bolt onto an M50.

Tash_1991
01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
ok well dad is doing some work at a wrecker, and a manual wagon is about to come in... so i may pinch bits from it!!!

genphreak
01-11-2012, 06:53 AM
I don't think they made M20 wagons. touring came later, eg M50, M60 and a very few S38s... so you either have an M50 wagon (manual would be verrry rare) so you know it may be worth keeping it when it comes...

BTW re SLS, check Shogun's pages- he has great info on SLS repairs not foudn anywhere else ;)

Tash_1991
01-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeh its n m50 wagon, its pretty bad body wise, but the rear isnt sagging like mine, ill be really happy if it was manual!