PDA

View Full Version : Subframe Bush Replacement

myles
01-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Hello fellow nutters. I thought I'd share this repair experience.

My car was getting some serious clunking from the rear. I could feel it occasionally and could hear it only after the whole car was nice and warm after an hour or so of driving and it was more obvious at lower speeds. I got an assistant to bounce the back of the car when it was hot and it was obvious that the subframe was moving way more than it should.

I've read all the stories about cutting the bushes and using jacks, chunks of wood and the kitchen sink to get the new ones in. I can't be bother with all that effort and time just to do 2 bushes. So with Patrick@BMAs help I bought a BMW3026 bushing kit from SIR Tools (shipping to Australia was steep cause its sooo heavy).

It made the job very easy. About 30 - 45 minutes a side. No fighting with anything. The old ones dropped out in one piece and the new ones pressed all the way in with no lube or anything. The only thing I did was put the new ones in the freezer overnight.

One of the old bushes was torn and the tool removed it just as easily as a good one.

The car feels much better now and the rear end is quiet. Time for some more happy bimmering.

BigKriss
01-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Good stuff mate! That tool you talk about is around $300. I know when I did it, it too a whole day.

genphreak
01-07-2012, 09:47 AM
That's sounds real good myles, low pain, maximum gain!

I need one too... was the tool this one? Sir Tools BMW 3026 Bushing Master Kit (http://www.costplustools.com/Sir-Tools-BMW-3026-Bushing-Master-Kit-_p_8708.html)

So these are the sturdy ones eh? How much did it end up being?

myles
01-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Thats about the price and it was about US$100 shipping to AU. Its very strong and I can't see any wear on it from doing one set. There are a few e34s, e32s and e36s with family and friends so this tool will get some use. I just put some oil on the threads and bearing before I started.

The force required to turn the threaded rod was surprisingly low, so I think the good design will also mean that the tool lasts a long time.

I also have the sir tools b90 bmw wheel bearing kit and the bmw3021 bushing kit. I went halves with a friend for those ones.

shogun
01-07-2012, 07:42 PM
that is the way to go. Sharing. Special tools are not always needed for one car only and too expensive then. We do the same here in Japan, we share the tools in our tools pool among wrenching buddies. Outsiders which do not participate in the tool pool (=they never buy a tool at their own cost), can have the tool at a small rental fee and a deposit to be sure that the tool is returned to us.

genphreak
01-08-2012, 01:35 AM
that is the way to go. Sharing. Special tools are not always needed for one car only and too expensive then. We do the same here in Japan, we share the tools in our tools pool among wrenching buddies. Outsiders which do not participate in the tool pool (=they never buy a tool at their own cost), can have the tool at a small rental fee and a deposit to be sure that the tool is returned to us.The practical way. List them in an inventory document on Google Docs, grant contributors access to the pool and you're done.

If anyone in Sydney is keen to do this, I'll throw a few tools in.

caf2461
01-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I used a $19 Black & Decker jig saw and an air chisel. I tried and returned two air saws that would not cut worth a dang and ended up using the jig saw and 2 metal blades (one broke). Took about 4 hours. You make two cuts to cut the center out of the bearing and then weaken the side and pry it out. Not a fun job but easier than I first thought just followed some of the tips here:
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-series-bmw/35718-replacing-rear-subframe-bushes-procedure-3.html
and
Rear subframe bushings - Page 2 - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1666893&highlight=subframe&page=2)

If you have a giant 3" diameter socket you may be able to try this technique and avoid cutting:
*DIY Rear Subframe Bushings - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1640861&highlight=subframe)

Either way the replacement two peice poly bushings are easy to install vs the stock single piece ones.