PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust :(

leicesterboy15
01-03-2012, 08:32 AM
A week before Christmas somebody ran into me and totalled my e34, the damage is not too bad but the insurance company have written it off due to age. My first accident since I started driving 15 years ago, someone pulled out of a petrol station in front of me and left me nowhere to go:

Before:

I am gutted, I've not had anything other than an e34 for about 9 years so now I don't know what else to get. There are not many e34s left you can use as a reliable family car around these parts any more and I can't decide what to replace it with. I have a list (not short!) and I don't really know how much to spend so I thought I would open it up to debate on here! One thing is for sure, I have a Passat 2.0 Diesel estate as a hire car and its a byword for boring, I don't think I can do run of the mill anymore and would prefer something different to the usual stuff on the road, I would also prefer a touring unless its a large saloon.

SO the list so far is:

£3- 6K
e39 540i
S6
S8
e38 740i, 750i
early e65 740i, 745i
early e60 545i
older shape e55 AMG
Jaguar XJR 4.0 supercharged

6k - 11k
e60 550i (front runner but hard to find a touring sport for that money).
e60 545i, 535d
e65 745, 75
newer XJR
newer e55 AMG
Range Rover
newer S6 or S8

I know its not narrowed down much, up to 4k and I could use cash, beyond that I would need finance. My main requirements are space, power, gadgets, fun to drive, not two a penny. I imagine that the economy on any of these would be at worst on par with the e34 540i, new engines are much more efficient.

Taking the BMWs alone I don't know whether the e60 or e65 is the better shape / drive and which engine - 535d, 540i, 545i, 550i (or the equivalent 7 series). The 535d is the best compromise between economy and power on paper and seems ideal but they demand a premium to buy and are they as boring as my Passat diesel? Lack of revs, flat spots and nothing at the top and bottom ends makes for a boring drive. I never expected my 15 yo e34 to be better to drive than a brand new mid range car.

Although I love the look of the Audis a friend of mine has steered me away from VAG products, he's had plenty of VAG and BMW offerings and says that the BMWs are generally the superior product and better package.

Just another note the insurance situation has been a complete scandal, the way the whole operation is set up it is for the insurance company to maximise the claim against the other company and make as much money on the claim as possible. The other company have no choice but to pay but I imagine they do the same when they are not at fault. So what is the outcome? The insurance companies make more money and pass on the cost of the inflated claims to us, the customers by way of inflated premiums. If the industry themselves are guilty of this then how can they complain about customer fraud - which incidentally is what they blame for the rise in premiums. Rant over.

Tiger
01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear. I would test drive the 535d before you consider it boring... their latest diesel offering is quite exciting.

E55 AMG is very tempting but insurance must be high for it... parts will be very expensive as well. Anything AMG will be super expensive for parts.

I like Mercedes better than BMW.

Audi A8 should be on your list too

Paul in NZ
01-03-2012, 04:27 PM
i second that you try a 535d or even a 530d,a chip makes them even more lively.Is the damage that bad?Consider buying it back and fixing it with second hand parts?

Bo525i
01-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Nooooo, not your 540 :( I´d try to buy it back and fix it with 2nd hand parts like Paul suggested
But the rim will be difficult to find..

whiskychaser
01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Bad news and a damn shame :-(

E34.535i.sport went from his 535i to the 4.0 supercharged Jag. I understand it was fairly quick but the support on the Jag forums was poor. The mpg was even worse. I think he is driving a recent model 530d now and likes it a lot. I drove a 535d (I think!) a couple of years back and was very surprised how quick it was

leicesterboy15
01-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys for your replies guys.

I think I will test drive the 535d then, never considered the 530d, is there much difference? Maybe a chipped 530d is as good as a 535d but without the twin turbo gubbins?

I am definitely buying it back although they haven't agreed a valuation or buy back cost yet. However I don't know if I will put it back on the road or break it. Not sure if I could face breaking it :(

I have a spare set of BBS Cross spokes and mpar reps are fairly cheap round these parts so the wheel is not too much of an issue, I just need to get under it and see if any of the chassis mounting points are damaged. If its just suspension arms then this is do-able, I've rebuilt the front suspension once already!

Paul in NZ
01-04-2012, 06:48 PM
let me put it this way....my 2 litre diesel has MORE torque than my 535.I think you will be very pleased with a 530d,even Jeremy Clarkson was impressed with the 535d.I think its the rest of the car that will be the question.I drove a e39 540 six speed once but found the 535 was just more enjoyable somehow

genphreak
01-06-2012, 07:15 AM
LB that is bad news but certainly very basic damage! Easy fix for you indeed. They won't pay you much for the car I bet- but if that's waht you want, here's to hoping!!!

The guard can be fixed easily enough too- its the paint that costs and even a replacement will need that unless you really luck out and/or don't mind a slight difference.

Buy the car and a few pieces and you will be fine. Thing is, do they own it? If this is your insurance, you are better off keeping them away from it as the parts are cheap and the repair simple. Just claim for the damage to the other car and you can do what you want.

If it is the other party's insurer you do not need to accept what they offer (unless they chose to repair it).

Best of luck w the upcoming 'negotiations'

I sure wish I could pop that baby in a container and get it over here to Oz, Kriss and I'd fix her up pronto.

Ross
01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Sorry, man. A touring too, bummer.
Common practice here is to negotiate to keep the wreck and part out. It looks like you have many nice parts. It's certainly repairable too.
Best to scratch those Audis off your list, don't you think?