PDA

View Full Version : Interior Dash Condensation Normal?

1995 540i
12-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Ok so it’s about 38* here in the states and I have a bad heater core so NO heat in the car. I noticed for the first time some condensation forming on the interior of my cluster panel (dash)? Is this due to a bad seal or just due to the fact that im not heating the interior of my car? Just want to make sure its nothing serious. Any help would be appreciated thanks!!!banghead

genphreak
12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Check for water in the insulation under the carpet, in the front footwells. A damp footwell makes damp air in the cabin that condenses overnight into droplets water that show on the lower part of the windscreen in the morning. Water can be from windshield seal leak, a blocked sunroof drain or incorrectly fitted ac pipe drain. All are easy fixes, just search this board for details.

Black 535i
01-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Any condensation in the car is usually due to the leaky heater core giving off fluid in the car in the form of coolant. Wet carpet will be from this rather than water at 38F temps. Heater core is a days work for first timers. I did mine in about 6 hrs two years ago and so far no issues. Did all the removal of all the lower dash parts and had my mechanic install new core and charge system at shop. This saves you $1000 labour. Have photos and directions if needed.

shogun
01-04-2012, 04:48 PM
did you ever change the mircofilter?
BMW E34 Website (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Gen_maintenance/Filters.htm)