PDA

View Full Version : replaced trany issues!!

Russell
12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Well, just replaced my GM 4-speed auto trany about a 1,000 miles ago and think it will need to be replaced again, under warranty of course. Looks like when placed in reverse, mostly first cold start of the day, back up quickly and the trany appears to slip and revs to 1 to 2,000 rpm. Let off throttle and reverse works fine. Seems fine after trany warms up.

Guess I will let the BMW indy shop who installed it sort this out. However any have any idea what might be causing this?

Ross
12-27-2011, 01:07 PM
ZF 5 spd? From what I have read; There is a check ball in the valve body that wears causing ineffective sealing to apply the reverse clutch pack effectively engaging reverse and first at once.
I hate hearing these stories. I currently have a ZF(Jaguar)on the bench at my local trans builder. Wish me luck, $2k worth.

Russell
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
ZF 5 spd? From what I have read; There is a check ball in the valve body that wears causing ineffective sealing to apply the reverse clutch pack effectively engaging reverse and first at once.
I hate hearing these stories. I currently have a ZF(Jaguar)on the bench at my local trans builder. Wish me luck, $2k worth.

Nope, the infamous gm 4 speed. Good luck with yours

Tiger
12-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Bad seals... clutch pack or valve body. Yep, they have to rebuild it again.

Ross
12-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Nope, the infamous gm 4 speed. Good luck with yours

I see. I remember your prior posts now.
well, good luck, that one shouldn't be too hard. I wonder if if it's a fluid level issue.

Did you ever get your instrument cluster display issue sorted?

632 Regal
12-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Sounds like a clogged filter issue... shouldn't be clogged yet though. Does it whine when cold in reverse too?

whiskychaser
12-27-2011, 06:55 PM
ZFs like to self destruct as Ross says, but GMs can lose it with a duff TCC solenoid. I posted the first link 'elsewhere' but the second gives even more info:

Tech Speaking HTML (http://www.transmissiondigest.com/tech/TD200512/TSpk12_05/Tech%20Speaking%20HTML.htm)

Possible No-reverse solution for GM tranny owners. Important information! Read - E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809)

Which tranny have you got in the Jag, Ross? 5HP24?

Russell
12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
I see. I remember your prior posts now.
well, good luck, that one shouldn't be too hard. I wonder if if it's a fluid level issue.

Did you ever get your instrument cluster display issue sorted?

It is at my indy's shop as we speak to look at the trany. He thinks/hopes itis a fluid issue. :)

I replaced the cluster (installed my original coding plug) and it seems to work fine. However I cannot read codes on my peake reader anymore. Neither can my indy on his various readers. Could be the cluster OR my electrochromac rear view mirror messing soemthing up (may have a wire crossed up). I may take a look some warm day as it is getting colder here in central KY. No heated garage. Wife will not support a furnace/heater for the garage.

Russell
12-27-2011, 09:24 PM
ZFs like to self destruct as Ross says, but GMs can lose it with a duff TCC solenoid. I posted the first link 'elsewhere' but the second gives even more info:

Tech Speaking HTML (http://www.transmissiondigest.com/tech/TD200512/TSpk12_05/Tech Speaking HTML.htm)

Possible No-reverse solution for GM tranny owners. Important information! Read - E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809)

Which tranny have you got in the Jag, Ross? 5HP24?

Great reply. I suspect this issue or low fluid. Tech is looking at car tommorrow morning after setting overnight.

Russell
12-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Got it back. Fluid level was fine. We believe it was a shift lever adjustment. It would sort of hang between reverse and neutral and slip back and forth into neutral/reverse which made it appear to be slipping. I am not so sure as this is the second or third adjustment. We shall see.

Tiger
12-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Then it has to be the tranny and motor mounts that allowing the play to happen. My motor mounts are so shot that it just came off.

Russell
12-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Then it has to be the tranny and motor mounts that allowing the play to happen. My motor mounts are so shot that it just came off.
Good thought. however, I have replaced the engine mounts and trany mounts within the last two years. Along the same kline of thinking, I suspect I need to replace the original trany cable. I bet it has stretched a bit.

whiskychaser
12-29-2011, 01:35 PM
If you think it is giving you a false neutral, I would suggest that if anything, the cable is too tight. I may have said this before, but to check just disconnect the cable at the tranny end. With your assistant's foot firmly on the brake, have them pull the shift lever back to R while you pull the lever on the side of the tranny back one click. If you then get a 'normal' reverse the fault does lie with the cable. That said, this would not account for you having a problem when the car is cold and it going away when it is warm

Russell
12-29-2011, 02:37 PM
If you think it is giving you a false neutral, I would suggest that if anything, the cable is too tight. I may have said this before, but to check just disconnect the cable at the tranny end. With your assistant's foot firmly on the brake, have them pull the shift lever back to R while you pull the lever on the side of the tranny back one click. If you then get a 'normal' reverse the fault does lie with the cable. That said, this would not account for you having a problem when the car is cold and it going away when it is warm

Thanks, I printed this as a reminder. Just going to watch for few days. no problem this morning.