PDA

View Full Version : Rear strut lower mount stuck

632 Regal
12-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Rear strut lower mount stuck. PB blasted a few days ago, inside the bolt hole and around the outside. Cant ruin the strut and do not have a torch. Fubared huh?

(note: use anti seize)

Merry Christmas!

whiskychaser
12-26-2011, 06:19 AM
They are a PITA for sticking. You have a gear puller? - Put the bolt back in loosely and use that for the centre of the puller to push against. Mind you get the legs over the middle of the bush or the rubber will just give

south26
12-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Or use a pickle bar if you do not have the puller. and a big hammer.

Andy

Tiger
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Don't forget to use anti seize when reinstalling it. I think if you put a block of wood on the strut and hit it out should be ok.

Ross
12-27-2011, 04:21 PM
BFH and a pickle fork to the bottom where the bushing eye attaches. A little side to side bashing on the "eye" helps loosen it. Amazing how stuck these f'ers get.
Be REALLY careful with a torch around shocks.

Ross
12-27-2011, 04:24 PM
BFH and a pickle fork to the bottom where the bushing eye attaches. A little side to side bashing on the "eye" helps loosen it as well as using the bolt as a lever to wiggle it. Amazing how stuck these f'ers get.

632 Regal
12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Pickle fork huh? Didn't think of that one yet. Tried the gear puller and BFH no luck. Stuck a long bolt in the center (not into the threads) and whacked it around but no deals either. It's not like there is a ton of access either. I never have stupid problems like this lol.

Pickle fork tonight with the long bolt option, might be good to wedge it and then BFH again.

632 Regal
12-29-2011, 02:06 PM
What a scene. Picklefork and air hammer eventually did the trick. Used the fork to get enough room to cut into the sleeve, a couple different angles and it came out.

Top of the strut mount was separated where the shock goes through from the rest of the mount. I must have just found this in time before it went through the back window lol. The other side was working it's way through also.

BigKriss
12-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Even if the rear strut mount is broken though, there is plate there to prevent it from going through the window. Pretty sure, its part #9 RealOEM.com * BMW E34 525i REAR SPRING STRUT (http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD51&mospid=47375&btnr=33_0532&hg=33&fg=45)