PDA

View Full Version : alarm issue

fsteyer
12-02-2011, 07:04 AM
My 95 525 touring has a factory installed remote entry/alarm. It's a black box under the driver side rear bench.
The alarm started to go of (this annoying horn mounted somewhere on the passenger side firewall ) and I can't get it to shut off. Had to disconnect the battery. The car starts and runs normal.

How can I disable or disconnect the alarm.

Thanks for any help.

shogun
12-03-2011, 06:53 AM
BMW TIS - False alarm by DWA caused by tilt alarm sensor Complaint: Cause: Vehicles affected: (http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/03/54/65)
False alarm by DWA caused by tilt alarm sensor
E31, E32, E34, E36, E38, E39

Complaint:

The anti-theft alarm system (DWA) occasionally triggers incorrectly. ne The following circumstances for such triggering are known:

a) About 30 seconds after the anti-theft alarm system is primed, especially on the E36 compact.
b) At a later point in time, sporadically, usually at the same place.

Cause:

Re a) ne Mechanical post-pulse oscillation of the tilt alarm sensor (NAG).

Technical background: When a vehicle door is shut, the mounting of the NAG vibrates. If the alarm system is now activated while the sensor is still vibrating, the DWA module stores a random reference position. Once the NAG has stopped vibrating, the system detects a change in position and triggers the alarm.
Re b) ne External electromagnetic radiation that acts on the NAG.

Vehicles affected:

E31, E32, E34, E36, E38, E39ne Manufacturing period: Start of series production until approx. 24.06.96 ne Manufacturing period E36 compact: Start of series production until 15.03.1998

Procedure:

If you receive a customer complaint, proceed as follows:

1. Connect the DIS to the vehicle.
2. Under "Body Electrics", select the "ZKE" (Central Body Electronics) and then the "Anti-theft alarm".
3. Select "Service Functions".
4. Select "DWA alarm counter".
5. If the majority of entries are for the "Tilt sensor", identify its index, which is printed on the NAG itself.
6. NAGs with an index of 10 or smaller must be replaced with a NAG of index 11 or higher.
7. E36 compact: ne If a NAG is installed with an index of 11 or higher, a damping strip must be attached between the NAG bracket and the outer side panel ne (see "Parts").
Note:
The NAG is fitted on the left- or right-hand side of the luggage compartment, depending on the model.

Pinzgauer
12-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Thank you very much for replying.

Is there anything I can do "in my driveway" to circumvent the alarm from going off? I hate to think of a drive to the dealer with he horn going off the entire trip.
Thanks again....

genphreak
12-06-2011, 05:52 AM
A more common cause on old bimmers is the battery dropping below 12V due to current drain, a dead first stage (no charge at idle-1500rpm) on the alternator or a bad battery.

Once the system voltage drops below 12V or so, a BMW won't work. The alarm can/will trigger by mistake and the car won't run as the ECU won't fire the plugs. 2 problems one of which you may not have but everyone needs to know about keeping a decent battery and cooling system in their older BMW to save them from ongoing problems (Oh woops, and there's a third...)

Pinzgauer
12-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Thank you .....

I wound up disconecting the mini plug - power? - (not the multi connector plug) from the black alarm box. This stopped the alarm horn from going off and the car still runs. Am I to exspect any problems from doing this?

Thank you for any replies .....

genphreak
12-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Depends if you have one, but if u do the OBC in the dash will probably be turned off permanently once u unplug the DWA module.

Pinzgauer
12-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the reply -

pardon my ignorance, but by OBC you mean the computer module with the various functions (time, distance, range, etc.)?

genphreak
12-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the reply -

pardon my ignorance, but by OBC you mean the computer module with the various functions (time, distance, range, etc.)?

Probably The OBC has 3 o so horizontal rows of buttons. There is a simpler version with about 4 buttons (total) that is not an On Board Computer. I think either will loose power... but def. the full OBC will.

Pinzgauer
12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Seems like I have the full version,but it still works after un plugging the alarm.
Thanks