PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove key from ignition, but car starts / drives. Neutral safety switch?

Victor
12-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I went to turn off my car and the key only went to the middle position (engine off, power on). I can restart the car, but can't remove the key because it can't be turned to the insert position.

Does this sound more like a steering lock, tumbler, or neutral safety switch issue? I'd be surprised if it's the tumbler, as I replaced it just months ago.

Many thanks!

'95 525i w/ EWS

Ross
12-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Steering lock issue.

Victor
12-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Hmmm. Steering lock doesn't come into play until the key is in the insert position, right? I'm not exactly sure how the mechanism works, but I guessed it was the neutral safety switch that might prevent the key from turning if it's not sensing the car is in Park.

genphreak
12-06-2011, 05:16 AM
The key locks so that it cannot be yanked out whilst the barrel is in Position 1,2 or 3. If you cannot remove it, this has worn out/broken. Never seen one break... suggest you blow some graphite dust in, jiggle it a bit between Position 1 and 0, jiggle it some more and see if you luck out. Then remove the barrell using the fabled allen key trick and see what's doing. Its probably just short on lube or has a busted piece in there you can hoik out of another barrel without changing the key combination or anything hard.

Victor
12-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Recall I mentioned the key lock cylinder is new (albeit set to work with my original worn keys). I've blown lock-lube in it for good measure before experiencing this problem. It just cannot be turned beyond position 2 and therefore cannot be removed.

Given that while in P (Park) the "P" illuminates on the dash, and that my auto shift leaver jiggling hasn't helped matters, I'm thinking it must be the steering lock. I've ordered the part and have a labor estimate from an indy for $180.