PDA

View Full Version : Time to say goodbye?

quesaisje
11-27-2011, 11:32 PM
I have a 2003 525i, 212,000 miles, manual transmission, and while I don't want to lose it, I am looking at a $3500 bill for major repairs: Clutch, various oil leaks, etc. I can drive the car locally without any great fear of a break-down, but I do so with some trepidation, especially with winter coming on (Upstate New York). Latest investment was $700 for a set of snow tires, including wheels. Is it time to say goodbye to my Bimmer and perhaps downsize to something like a Honda? I have no idea of a trade or resale value for a car with this much mileage, I don't want to do this, but with a fixed income and most of my money tied up with a mortgage-free house, 1872 vintage, and at the ripe old age of 70 and a wife with failing sight, I am hearing steps. Your thoughts?

ahlem
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
If you are paying someone else to do the work I'd say you should sell it. You probably have $600 in parts and the rest is labor, including some weightlifting.

Ross
11-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Your clutch can be replaced for under $1k at an independant shop.
No way I'd be spending $3500 either but your list doesn't merit that much expense. Inquire with your local BMW club chapter for a referrence to a trusted independant repair shop.

Tiger
11-28-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree with Ross... look elsewhere for reputable shops who will do it for the right price.

I'd say keep the car... however... wow... you still drive a manual car? I'd go for an automatic for easy of operation.

632 Regal
11-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Move closer to me and I will do the work at a fraction of the cost. Look up people with bimmer interests, there has to be a few that dont count on screwing people.

genphreak
11-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Some passionate local DIYers (like Jeff) that can help u get her back on the road (and up to reliable scratch) is all u need!

Russell
11-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I hear you. I am 68 and find my self not wanting to do teh heavier lifting repairs myself. I just spent$3,400 on an auto trany replacement on my 525i with 207,000 miles and will face more in the next year or two. Even so, I cannot face the idea of driving a lesser car. I would find a good local indy repair shop and verify teh repair cost and prioritize them. Reconsider what to do at that point. If the repair needs are too obvious, your trade in or resale value will be low. In my case, i plan to drive it at least a couple more years.

ScottyWM
12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm getting there myself. Russell, I figured you were a young buck from all the work you've done. Not only is it getting more painful to do all the contortionism getting to stuff like the microfilter, but now I can't get my eyes to focus on all the close up work like working under the dash. Have started fixing things for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th times and it's not as rewarding as it once was. Just noticed that my headliner will need another redo - no small job in the touring. I did it myself about 7? years ago and don't look forward to that job again. Still, spending money on DIY repairs is still cheaper than ANY new car. And as long as I keep everything working I've got a damn nice BMW - I certainly couldn't afford a new one.

I hope to be able to afford a used new style 5 wagon in a couple years and pass my old wagon on to some smart young kid. Until then, my wife has the nice comfortable reliable car (2008 Saab 9-3 Aero) and I have the MGB to satisfy my tinkering.

Russell
12-02-2011, 06:55 PM
No young buck here. Same here with the focus on small things under the dash etc. Got one of those visors with magnifying lens to see close up. Works rather well. Also getting tired of some things on the second round. I am having my indy do more and more things I used to do. Still cheaper than a new car.