PDA

View Full Version : Paper or cork pan gasket on a m30

Kibokojoe
11-07-2011, 03:00 PM
I am leaning towards using a paper gasket for the pan gasket versus cork. I have heard that cork has a tendency to squeeze out. If I use paper what kind of sealant do I use? I have seen the trick where you use zip strips a couple of place on the pan through gasket to hold it in place until it is positioned. Guess I need a sealant that will give me some time to get the pan positioned and bolted.

Ross
11-08-2011, 11:36 AM
The cork isn't likely to be squeezed out with a cast pan having the bolts closely spaced. Tighten evenly from the center out, alternating sides, a little RTV doesn't hurt.

BigKriss
11-09-2011, 02:38 AM
were did you hear the cork gasket squeezes out? I'm going with the cork type to replace the sump gasket.

shogun
11-09-2011, 02:52 AM
cork.
On the German 7-forum is a guy over 60 years old from Denmark which has his own repair shop and is specialized on these older cars, he recommends:

Wenn es eine reine Korkdichtung ist, dann lege sie in eine Wanne mit Wasser ueber Nacht. Dadurch quillt der Kork auf, und du kannst spaeter die Dichtung nachziehen. Dann sollte es auch dicht werden, ohne fluessige Dichtung. Ich habe es so gelernt

literal translation:

in case of a pure natural product like cork, put the cork gasket over night into a container filled with water. The cork soaks the water and expands, install the cork gasket, and later when it dried up, re-tighten the bolts again. Then a cork gasket does not leak, no need to use any other additional products like liquid seal.
I have been trained when I was young to do it that way
--------------
I have done it this way, and it works. More than 30 years experience in the business by this old expert is valuable knowledge.....

BigKriss
11-09-2011, 03:38 AM
good stuff, cork it is then!

Kibokojoe
11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Ah ha, this I never knew. Well than cork it is. Your just a wealth of knowledge.

shogun
11-09-2011, 09:31 AM
cork gasket soaking: well, I do not know if that is a good up-to-date method or just old wrenching style. At least he told us so and I did it.
Maybe someone knows better and tells us.

Kibokojoe
11-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Just spoke with International auto parts owner and he said he uses the paper gasket that is impregnated with rubber. Says he has never had a leak. He said he can't even get the cork gaskets anymore. So tomorrow my son and I will be dropping the pan and inspecting the oil pump. Been told a partially clogged oil pump intake can cause ticking of the valves. Guess we will find out. I have adjusted the valves may times but they continue to click a lot. Yes I know this is normal by 535i has some clicking but not this loudly. Ran my thumbnail over the cam and replaced all of the adjusters but still it clicks. If this doesn't work it sounds like its time to rebuild the head.