PDA

View Full Version : Emergency flashers can't be turned off after charging very low battery

ron525
11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I can't turn off the emergency flashers on my 1994 525 after I tried to charge a very low battery. I was being careful not to produce any electrical sparks by unplugging the charger before I disconnected the clamps. But as soon as I uplugged it, I got a couple of flashes. Everything still seemed fine when I tested the charge on the battery by turning on the lights. When I got to the hazard lights, I couldn't turn them off afterwards. The battery voltage was down to about 7 volts and I have since replaced the battery. It started and is running fine, except for the problem with the hazard lights staying on. I pulled the fuse for the emergency lights.

I have looked at the archives and I read about the Crash Control Module. I unplugged it to see if that could be the problem, but the flashers still flashed. Any ideas on what this could be?

Paul in NZ
11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
i dont know but you can do a reset by touching the battery cables together for a few seconds,completely disengaged from the battery of course

ron525
11-05-2011, 10:51 PM
The battery was removed from the car for over a week while trying to get the dealer to order a new one, so everything was reset (like the trip odometer, all the on-board computer data), but this problem still exists.

ron525
11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I pulled the emergency flasher/turn signal relay and think this could be the culprit. Would this be the first component you would replace first?

shogun
11-07-2011, 12:18 AM
the solution
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/7-series-bmw/43308-self-activating-flashers.html

ron525
11-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Is the flashing supposed to stop after I remove the Crash Sensor Module? I pulled it out but my lights are still flashing, so I figured something else is causing the problem.

ron525
11-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Problem fixed!!! It was the Emergency Flasher/Turn Signal relay module. I replaced it and all my lights are working properly now.

The only thing is the replacement module is not as heftly (it feels lighter) than the original. I ordered a genuine BMW replacement, but it was made in Austria, where my original was made in W. Germany. There are a couple of other brands out there for this part, that cost less. I wonder if those are well-built.