PDA

View Full Version : need to swap out dash lced display

Russell
11-05-2011, 01:02 PM
I need to swap out a dash lced/dot matrix display from one cluster to another on my 95 525i. Both are blue backed from 95 e34s. I have taken a cluster apart and do not see how to remove the LCD unit.

I know I saw a diy write up somewhere on how to repair the LCD and cannot find it dispite several searches on four e34 forums. Anyone have a link?

ScottyWM
11-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Why don't you just use the whole cluster? Just swap the chip and you'd be good to go.

Russell
11-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Why don't you just use the whole cluster? Just swap the chip and you'd be good to go.

Did that. Long story, but there may be issues with the replacement cluster and compatibility. Not proven yet.

shogun
11-07-2011, 12:24 AM
just try another cluster, always can install the old one back.
I recently changed clusters 3 times in an hour, just to see if there are differences in indications by cluster type, I tried grey back, white back and blue back side clusters, all worked in my E32 11/88 750iL.
but found out what I wanted to know, the indication for coolant showed always slightly different, 2 1-2mm after 12 o'clock, 1 1-2mm before 12 o'clock, all at same temperature recorded with a separate precise temperature feeler.
This proved to me the indicators are just rough indicators. Now I run again another cluster as a friend reported on his one a fault which I want to check and reproduce the fault. That is a blue back one. Sometimes RPM indicator jumps

Russell
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
just try another cluster, always can install the old one back.
I recently changed clusters 3 times in an hour, just to see if there are differences in indications by cluster type, I tried grey back, white back and blue back side clusters, all worked in my E32 11/88 750iL.
but found out what I wanted to know, the indication for coolant showed always slightly different, 2 1-2mm after 12 o'clock, 1 1-2mm before 12 o'clock, all at same temperature recorded with a separate precise temperature feeler.
This proved to me the indicators are just rough indicators. Now I run again another cluster as a friend reported on his one a fault which I want to check and reproduce the fault. That is a blue back one. Sometimes RPM indicator jumps

I may do so. However, on the e-34 I have to drop the steering column or pull the airbag. BTW the cluster self test seem to work fine exscpt it did not display items like trans program, bulbs out and similar during the test. Not sure why.

John B.
11-08-2011, 10:16 AM
To remove the dash cluster on our 95 525i all I did was disconnect the battery, run the steering column all the way out & turn the steering wheel with the upper part of the cluster in the large steering wheel opening. No need to drop the column or pull the air bag.

As far as removing the white LCD module it's very simple. With the rear cover up or off & the front gauge section removed just use a small flat blade screwdriver to compress the 2 locking tabs on each end that lock the plastic module case in the housing & push it out towards the front.