PDA

View Full Version : New auto trany time for my 95 525i?

Russell
11-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Upcoming auto trany failure at 207,000 miles

Looks like it has finally happened to me even after fluid and filter changes every 35,000 miles and driving like an adult.

Really starting to slip when shifting gears in Economy mode. Less so in sport mode. Was only doing it to 3rd. Also I often get a slipping sensation then a fairly hard shift. No trans code error. Just slipping shifts when under moderate acceleration. Less so when under light acceleration. I also experience an ocassional delayed reverse engagement and some pendulum shifting under light load.

Do not see any leaks and fluid level is fine and was checked a month ago.

None of the trany shops in my area can seem to do any diagnostics without a teardown. None of the BMW indy shops can do diagnostics or rebuild tranys. They install used or rebuilt units. I have not checked the dealer yet for diagnostics.

My dealer wanted $4,900 for a rebuilt unit not including labor. local trany shop rebuilts were about 2 grand with a 12 month warrenty Then there is a rebuilt unit with torque convertor and electronics update from a nationally known euro trany rebuilder for $3,500 with a 30 month warrently to be installed by a local BMW indy shop.

Nope, I do not want to convert to a manual. Guess I will just have a rebuilt trany installed after I confirm the problem. Hate this, but car is in excellent condition.

whiskychaser
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm guessing your have the 4l30E/a4s310R? Not too familiar with it but I can read like anyone else. AFIK 1st and 2nd gears have an adjustable band and I think this may come into play to prevent a thump when it goes into 3rd. A quick way to see if it is the actual clutch is to put it in gear with the shift lever and see if it still slips. Hopefully it doesnt and it may be 'just' a valve body issue. If you can, I'd have the codes read. One of these days I will find out which ones throw 'transprog' and which ones dont:) Meanwhile, a couple of files from my 'library' containing some electrical tests you can do and an SI about hard and pendulum shifts:

http://www.superflow.com/Transmission_Test/tranxpages/euro/BMW_4L30E.pdf

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/attachment%5B1%5D.pdf

I think there is a whole thread on here somewhere by the poster of the second item

Russell
11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
For some reason my BMW indy could not get any of their code readers to read the codes when I stopped by today. My Peake tool would not work either. No trany work until that issue is resolved. This will be looked at Friday.

I also had a highly recomended independent trany shop look the trany. They felt it is worn out. They would get a rebuilt unit rather then rebuild it. I am waiting for the price etc. Turns out they are an authorized ZF repair shop according to my bmw indy. Might consider them.

Russell
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm guessing your have the 4l30E/a4s310R? Not too familiar with it but I can read like anyone else. AFIK 1st and 2nd gears have an adjustable band and I think this may come into play to prevent a thump when it goes into 3rd. A quick way to see if it is the actual clutch is to put it in gear with the shift lever and see if it still slips. Hopefully it doesnt and it may be 'just' a valve body issue. If you can, I'd have the codes read. One of these days I will find out which ones throw 'transprog' and which ones dont:) Meanwhile, a couple of files from my 'library' containing some electrical tests you can do and an SI about hard and pendulum shifts:

http://www.superflow.com/Transmission_Test/tranxpages/euro/BMW_4L30E.pdf

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/attachment[1].pdf

I think there is a whole thread on here somewhere by the poster of the second item

Yes that is the correct trany.

Bill R.
11-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Yours is a GM strassbourg used in a zillion different cars Even the isuzu rodeo and troopers. Almost any transmission shop should be able to rebuild one fairly cheaply, much cheaper than the numbers you have been quoting

Russell
11-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Bill,
I wish it was true in my area. However, no such luck in my search.

Bill R.
11-03-2011, 11:32 AM
The master kit on here is less than 200, time to keep shopping for other trans shops or buy that rebuild manual and the master kit from these guys
(http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4L30E.html)
or contact these guys on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L30E-Compatible-w-many-BMW-Rebuilt-Transmission-/390084752072?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ad2dcf2c8) 100 percent positive feedback for them.

Russell
11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
The master kit on here is less than 200, time to keep shopping for other trans shops or buy that rebuild manual and the master kit from these guys
(http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4L30E.html)
or contact these guys on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L30E-Compatible-w-many-BMW-Rebuilt-Transmission-/390084752072?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ad2dcf2c8) 100 percent positive feedback for them.

Bill, Thanks for the links. I will continue my shopping. The most recent concern is actually round 2. I checked in detail about a year ago.

I do not have the skills, location or time to rebuild a trany. Looks like the e-bay trany, plus shipping and installation would cost about 2 grand. The lowest cost I have seen so far at a local shop was around 2 grand. He rechecked and called back this afternoon It went to $2545 for a Transstar brand reman +labor+sales tax+fluid for a total of $3,150.

Tiger
11-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Bill's ebay price is what I would pay for... alot of wholesale tranny builder prices are in that range. See who can install that tranny for you... Usually around $500 for install.

Russell
11-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Bill's ebay price is what I would pay for... alot of wholesale tranny builder prices are in that range. See who can install that tranny for you... Usually around $500 for install.

Tiger and Bill,
I appeaciate all the help. I am just do not want to buy an e-bay trany with no warrenty. I also will not even know the company that rebuilt it and then pay to have it installed. Then if it has any problems I am on my own (over long distance) and possibly starting all over again. Not enough security for me. :) also a lot of agrivation.

I think I have found what I plan to do I will use my local BMW indy who I have used since I bought my second BMW in 1991. This 95 is my third BMW. It will cost me a bunch more but I will have the security of a locally managed 30 month warrenty, new torque convertor and updated trany controller.

Russell
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Upcoming auto trany failure at 207,000 miles

Looks like it has finally happened to me even after fluid and filter changes every 35,000 miles and driving like an adult.

Really starting to slip when shifting gears in Economy mode. Less so in sport mode. Was only doing it to 3rd. Also I often get a slipping sensation then a fairly hard shift. No trans code error. Just slipping shifts when under moderate acceleration. Less so when under light acceleration. I also experience an ocassional delayed reverse engagement and some pendulum shifting under light load.

Do not see any leaks and fluid level is fine and was checked a month ago.

None of the trany shops in my area can seem to do any diagnostics without a teardown. None of the BMW indy shops can do diagnostics or rebuild tranys. They install used or rebuilt units. I have not checked the dealer yet for diagnostics.

My dealer wanted $4,900 for a rebuilt unit not including labor. local trany shop rebuilts were about 2 grand with a 12 month warrenty Then there is a rebuilt unit with torque convertor and electronics update from a nationally known euro trany rebuilder for $3,500 with a 30 month warrently to be installed by a local BMW indy shop.

Nope, I do not want to convert to a manual. Guess I will just have a rebuilt trany installed after I confirm the problem. Hate this, but car is in excellent condition.

My indy did several checks and could not easily find why my car cannot read codes. It is possible it is because I changed out my instrument cluster to repair a failing dot matrix display.

I used a 95 540i cluster (same part # as mine) and switched out the code plug. Everything worked well with no changes in any aspect of the vehicle's operation. I think 95 540i was made in 12/94 while mine is made in 1/95 with ews II security. There may be a possible conflict. Anyway, not going to switch back until the spring(if needed)

Going to deal with trany issue first. He did say that the lack of being able to read codes would have no effect on the impending trany failure.

genphreak
11-05-2011, 08:50 AM
The reason is probably the interface, most 'readers' are configured for OBD units, e34 uses K-Line which ***requires*** and ADS interface which few shops have. If they do, few know how to use them/set them up/switch between.

If you had ZF, you could buy a reman unit from their nearest facility and have it installed. They do a great job, here in Oz you can take your car to them (they do trucks and buses mostly) and they can usually fit it in without any drama or large cost- also they can take yours/return it reliably rebuilt on the bench. I don't know about GM units though...

Russell
11-05-2011, 05:31 PM
The reason is probably the interface, most 'readers' are configured for OBD units, e34 uses K-Line which ***requires*** and ADS interface which few shops have. If they do, few know how to use them/set them up/switch between.

If you had ZF, you could buy a reman unit from their nearest facility and have it installed. They do a great job, here in Oz you can take your car to them (they do trucks and buses mostly) and they can usually fit it in without any drama or large cost- also they can take yours/return it reliably rebuilt on the bench. I don't know about GM units though...

This shop has the proper code readers. They work with older to newer (not newest) BMWs. My Peake used to work, just not anymore

genphreak
11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Sounds painful indeed. cluster replacement AFAIK will just cause an error when querying the cluster in the DIS. It actually tells you what and why, but some tests that happen to query it as well as the core modules will fail. Using INPA/tools it may be possible to re-program the cluster, but I don't know how it could disable the system. But hey, you never know w these things. If the dealer is foxed, you're probably stuffed.

The other thing you can try w the tranny is to just replace the temperature sensor, on ZFs these are a common failure in old trannies. But w the distance yours has on it, a full rebuild is a good idea to give it some of its factory poke/economy anyhow.

Russell
11-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Tiger and Bill,
I appeaciate all the help. I am just do not want to buy an e-bay trany with no warrenty. I also will not even know the company that rebuilt it and then pay to have it installed. Then if it has any problems I am on my own (over long distance) and possibly starting all over again. Not enough security for me. :) also a lot of agrivation.

I think I have found what I plan to do I will use my local BMW indy who I have used since I bought my second BMW in 1991. This 95 is my third BMW. It will cost me a bunch more but I will have the security of a locally managed 30 month warrenty, new torque convertor and updated trany controller.

looks like the trany barely made it to the shop as my rebuilt trany is due to be delivered on the 17th. Been slipping & making whining sounds more and more every day. On the way home it abruptly had trans prog code and went into third. I avoided most of the lights. At last it would not go up a hill locked in slipping third. Pulled over and started the car a few time and trans prog light went out and car would use first and second gears even though slipping. Limped it two more miles and at the shop.

Ross
11-22-2011, 09:03 AM
How has it turned out?
I feel your pain BTW as I'm now facing a dead ZF 5 spd autobox myself.

Russell
11-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Ross,
It is being installed as I speak. I stopped by yesterday as the the trany was just delivered. It was strapped down in a large blue plastic box. Inside the box was a the trany/torque convertor and returnable cooler trany flush kit, new interlock switch and latest eprom for the controller. I was told it was dynoed before shipping. Total cost was about $3,400 with a 30 month unlimited mileage warrenty.

Link to the the rebuilder in CA. They rebuild only Merc and BMW tranys and only sell to shops. http://www.peius.com/Default.asp

Picked it up late this afternoon. Seems to shift smoother than ever before. However I have only driven it six miles in trafffic, in the rain at night. :)