PDA

View Full Version : Centre three point belt in the rear

martyyn
10-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Has anyone ever considered this ? Putting a third sash belt in the rear ?

I have three kids, 11, 8 and 4 and until now the older two are on the sides in the sash belts with the little one in the centre with a belt hooked to the lap belt and linked to a bolt in the rear shelf. This isnt going to work for much longer because she's getting bigger all the time and I wont have one of the older ones with just a lap belt knowing the massive internal injuries they could suffer in an accident.

I know the e38 had the option for a centre belt even though it was very, very rarely installed, but Im not sure if its possible in an e34. I expect it would need to be put through a compliance check down here in NZ as its illegal to cut a rear shelf. But Im wondering if its even possible to start with. Is there anywhere in the rear shelf to anchor the shoulder recoil mechanism for example ?

Just a thought for a quiet day at home :)

Cheers
Martyn

martyyn
11-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Having had a look at a stripped out rear seat this afternoon I think Ive got more chance of flying to the moon. Id need to have two inertia belts next to each other on one side and I just dont think there is enough room even if something could be fabricated.

Oh well.

Paul in NZ
11-01-2011, 02:30 AM
what about a sash belt thats NOT an inertia reel?

genphreak
11-01-2011, 07:04 AM
The intertia reel could be offset slightly, one behind the other no? Perhaps compliance would not be such a problem either, as you are retaining the original anchor points (eg the 'old lap belt')... & just adding the sash part... If it can be done, it would be a nice upgrade. :)

martyyn
11-01-2011, 08:30 PM
My concern is about the size of position of any interia reel on the rear shelf. Offsetting it behind the existing reel may be a possibility but could potentially make a real mess of the shelf itself.

I was wondering if it could sit along side the existing interia reel, but I think that leaves too narrow a 'triangle' between the three points.

Although, the current lap belt sits in a 'hook' on the rear shelf and lies next to the existing intertia belt. Then it would come down to how close two interia reels could realistically sit together.

Id then have to work out how to butcher the shoulder of the rear seat to have it looking as standard as possible.

This all assumes its possible for the interia reel to have an appropriate mounting point on the rear shelf in the first place.

I might need to talk to a certifier.