PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic converter suggestions

ahlem
10-29-2011, 01:54 PM
I have to replace my catalytic converter. The car is mildly modified and has a performance exhaust that should last for another year. Cost sensitive suggestions would be welcomed. 1990 535i manual, bored throttle body, conforti chip.

genphreak
11-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Just go to the breakers and inspect before you buy. OEM BMW are far better than aftermarket IMHO- and cheap :) Make sure you change the O2 sensor at the same time, esp. if it has more than 60,000 miles on it.

shogun
11-01-2011, 09:13 AM
in case you can get metal cats, universal ones and then ask a shop to weld them in.

I can see the differences between the large normal/original BMW cats on my E32 750iL and the ones on my E32 750 Alpina B12.5.0

The Alpina Cats are according to the original Alpina car spec:

6 DEGUSSA 3-Wege Katalysatoren mit modernsten, widerstandsarmen EMITEC Stahlkatalysatortraegern, 2 beheizte Lambdasonden.

Katalysator:
6 x "Emicat" Stahlmatrix von EMITEC, S-foermig gewickelt.
DEGUSSA - Beschichtung Platin/Rhodium 5:1

genphreak
11-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Hmm sounds cool... aren't they just bigger? Where can we buy those? How much? (LOL!)

"6 DEGUSSA three-way catalytic converters with modern, low-drag EMITEC Stahlkatalysatortraegern, 2 heated oxygen sensors.

Catalyst:
6 x "Emicat" steel matrix of EMITEC, S-shaped wound. Degussa - coated platinum / rhodium 5:1

shogun
11-01-2011, 05:48 PM
The original Alpina Kats you can only get from Alpina, but nowadays there are so many online shops and you can get steel cats in street legal version, racing version etc for relatively small money.
For example here German-Exhaust Online Shop - Metallkatalysatoren (http://www.german-exhaust.de/shop/index.php?cat=c8_Metallkatalysatoren.html)

Universal-Kat - Katalysatoren (http://www.kat-company.com/shop/kat/uni-kat.html?limit=all&order=price&dir=asc)
this one for EURO 192
Universal Metallic Race Cat 100 cpsi FIA
body: steel
description: round body with cones , 1 monolith of 115x101mm 100cpsi
total lenght: 295mm
body diameter: 102mm
cones:63,5mm-102mm with sensor fitting
displacement: up to 4000ccm
feature: FIA - homologated ultra high flow performance race cat