PDA

View Full Version : window question

6670charger
10-28-2011, 09:30 AM
The window in my driver's door seems to be a little out of adjustment. Had to replace the nylon slider in the rear window channel the other day, and now the window seems to sit about 1/8 inch forward of where it should be when moving up and down, to the point where the upper back corner of the glass rides over the rubber insulation at the top of the door frame, and causes a gap and wind whistling when driving. It hadn't been doing that before. While rolling the window up and down, I can see that the back edge of the glass doesn't stay against the felt channel in the door frame like the passenger's side window does.

How do you adjust this. Seems like it should be pretty easy, however, I just can't get it quite right.

Thanks.

whiskychaser
10-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I've replaced the mechanism on 3 or 4 cars but not on a BMW. When they do what you describe I've found it to be the glass coming out of the runners. Sods law says its just where the glass comes out of the door so you cant see it. Have you had the glass out?

6670charger
10-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Didn't take the glass completely out of the door, but, had it completely loose from the mechanism. It did come off the front track. Got some help and managed to get the glass back on track in front, and in the back. Window goes up and down just fine, with exception of that it seems to be just a little too far forward in the door. It seems to track along the window frame just fine while rolling up, until about the last three inches. Then it overlaps the rubber seal. Like I said before, the back edge of the glass doesn't rest against the felt in the window frame track like it does on the pass side. It seems to sit forward about 3mm.

whiskychaser
10-28-2011, 07:20 PM
I've spent hours and hours doing them and they are a right PITA. I found the last bit is where the back of the window 'hops' over part of the seal. You cant see it as its hidden behind the top part of the door (the bit you rest your arm on). The way I solved it was putting the back of the glass in first. Its totally against what is natural but worked for me.