PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump bad?

ScottyWM
10-02-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure this is another water pump failing, but let me describe it and see what you guys think.

Coolant temp went above normal for a couple days, to about the 3/4 mark, but not into the red
Top radiator hose hot, bottom hose cool
Noise like a bad bearing that follows engine speed coming from front of engine
Seems to be getting slowly worse, needle went just to the red today

If this is a bad water pump, this will be the 6th water pump on the car!! But on the bright side, this last pump lasted over 4 years and 60k miles - so they're lasting longer!

Tiger
10-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Pretty good chance your waterpump is bad. Thermostat is also possibly bad too.

Rick L
10-03-2011, 07:17 PM
6th water pump? Are you going cheap and buying those discontinued plastic impeller water pumps? LOL... When my water pump failed, I didn't have temp issue. Just the engine started to shake. But at 6th one, you should know all the symptoms by now. :) Yeah, I would check thermostat and water pump.

shogun
10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Scotty
I have replaced the water pump on my E32 750 after 22 !!! years now and that only as preventive maintenance, as it was still working fine.
Buy a good one and that will work, but also - and that I did years ago - change the belt tensioner pulley and preferably the tensioner.
These are wear parts and have to be replaced after so many years of daily use.
And do not tighten the belt tensioner too much, that - in my opinion, I might be wrong- also causes earlier bearing wear on the water pump.

ScottyWM
10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
No, the last 2 or 3 have been metal impellors I got from BMA. Tensioner and idler have been replaced too. (actually, once I changed the pump as preventive as I was doing everything else cooling related too, so I guess that doesn't count.) Cooling system has been the achilles heel on this car, and yes I use BMW (or mercedes) coolant.

Tiger
10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Insanity... in all those times you changed teh waterpump... you changed the thermostats?

BMW4LIFE
10-04-2011, 05:29 PM
That seems VERY extensive in the water pump department!

I have over 200k and have changed my pump once

when the original exploded and ruined the radiator...

The only other change was the radiator less than 5k due to the upper neck breaking off...

You may want to stop buying from BMA and come to my retailer

AutohausAZ

Not only are their parts cheaper than their competitors, they offer FREE fast shipping and the costumer service is AWESOME!

GL on your next and hopefully final change!

ahlem
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Is something unbalanced on your fan or fan clutch? Wobbling your waterpumps into oblivion?

John B.
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
You may want to stop buying from BMA and come to my retailer

AutohausAZ

Not only are their parts cheaper than their competitors, they offer FREE fast shipping and the costumer service is AWESOME!

GL on your next and hopefully final change!

I buy from both BMA & AutohausAZ. Shipping is free on orders of $50 or more at either website. I find some items cheaper at BMA & some at AutoAZ but Patrick at BMA has always treated me very well & usually comes up with the best pricing.

BMW4LIFE
10-04-2011, 11:11 PM
I was kidding about buying from BMA by the way! ;)

But I seriously do hope you stop having to buy water pumps!

Tiger
10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
A great point... Bad engine mount would also cause the engine to be 'crooked.'

John B.
10-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm not the guy with the pump issues. Changed mine once in the 535i 9 years ago & it's still fine.

Bill R.
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I buy from both BMA & AutohausAZ. Shipping is free on orders of $50 or more at either website. I find some items cheaper at BMA & some at AutoAZ but Patrick at BMA has always treated me very well & usually comes up with the best pricing.

I usually end up buying from Patrick at BMA also. AutohausAZ is more expensive for me and Patrick gets and order to me overnight before 11:00 am usually with the shipping they use. Lately though my local bmw dealer has been cheaper on a lot of parts after the shop discount which is really suprising.

ScottyWM
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. The pump is fine, the thermostat was shot. I'd forgotten that I suspected the t-stat some time back when it was running cool (stuck open). But it had fixed itself. Then I guess it started sticking shut. The bearing noise was from the idler pully. Replaced idlers, t-stat, belts and all is fine.

Tiger
10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Good thing it is not the water pump... lol