PDA

View Full Version : replaced instrument cluster

Russell
09-30-2011, 03:43 PM
The dot matrix on my instrument cluster was failing. For my fix I purchased another working cluster from a 95 540i, switched the code plug from my 95 525i, while removed, I repaced all the bulbs in the new cluster.

I dropped the steering column to gain access to the cluster. Did not deal with removing steering wheel or airbag. I did disconnect the battery for this work.

All seems well. Only issue I have noted and may not be related is my "oil level light" came on just after I changed my oil, Oil level is fine. Light went away though. Also my Peake code reader/reset tool will reset oil and insection lights but will NOT read codes properly it shows a flashing "E" error code. Not sure this is related. However I did mess with the electrical system with several battery connect/disconnects..

Rick L
10-01-2011, 09:53 AM
The dot matrix on my instrument cluster was failing.

Only issue I have noted and may not be related is my "oil level light" came on just after I changed my oil, Oil level is fine. Light went away though.

Failing dot matrix is usually do to tracer ribbon coming off and not making good contact. I have fixed several dot matrix displays just by wedging folded paper into the back of the ribbon for snug contact. :p

I get this only after oil change. Light stays on for 2 seconds and turns off. I thought this is normal. My E46 does the same thing.

Russell
10-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Rick,
I was not clear. It was not the dash light. It was the "dot Matrix" indicator. It would come on after several restarts. Then was out. Has never happened before. Wonder if it had something to do with my cluster switch.

Can you tell me more about where and how to do the fix you mentioned? I did not take mine apart enough to get to all the internals. Only enough to take the cover off to repace the 3 bulbs under the cover. I am keeping the old cluster for parts so I can explore a bit.

Side Note; My Peake reset tool now gives me "E" error when I try to read codes. However it will reset oil and inspection lights. Peake help filles stated it as a communcation error with BMW elctronics. None of their fixes worked. Wonder if I disrupted " the Force" in some way with my switch ? :)

Rick L
10-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Russell,

There is a ribbon cable from LCD to circuit board. From age, the glue on the ribbon cable connection point becomes deteriorated and the tracers (contact runs/points) from the ribbon cable lose contact from the circuit board. I found out by putting pressure on the back where the ribbon cable connects to the circuit board will fix the display issues. I wedged folded paper, width of the ribbon contacts points, to create pressure. OK, this sounds bit ghetto but all the displays I fixed work flawlessly and some goes back 5+ years. I have fixed stereo displays, center console information displays, and instrument displays by this method. LOL…

Russell
10-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks,
I will take a closer look at my old cluster. Looks like I will need to take it apart a bit more than removing the blue main cover to locate teh ribbon cable.