PDA

View Full Version : a/t questions

tnt525i
06-17-2004, 09:09 AM
hi there everyone,, first time poster here, i bought my first bmw 2 months ago, its an e34 525i 1995 and its a dream to drive, but last saturday, i turned a corner and BANG the car went dead, the trans program message came on and the car wont move in gear,, i pit it back in gear but no gear would engage,, anyway off my baby went to the transmission guy to check out and after helping him remove the tranny and dismantling it, we foung alot of broken parts in it,, boy what a bummer, my first german car and look what happens, i thought they were supposed to be soooo good, i should have stuck with my nissans, i've had nissans for 17 yrs now and never had tranny probs, even with my last car which i converted the engine and mated it to the stock 2 liter tranny, the engine was 340 hp and would do low 12 sec. passed all day and this went on for 3 hard years and never a tranny failure,, anyway guys the long and short of the story id,, i'm looking for a used tranny for the car,, its a ZF 5HP18 if anyone has one please let me know
thanx

Bill R.
06-17-2004, 09:18 AM
zf5hp18 in the 525... it has the a4s310

hi there everyone,, first time poster here, i bought my first bmw 2 months ago, its an e34 525i 1995 and its a dream to drive, but last saturday, i turned a corner and BANG the car went dead, the trans program message came on and the car wont move in gear,, i pit it back in gear but no gear would engage,, anyway off my baby went to the transmission guy to check out and after helping him remove the tranny and dismantling it, we foung alot of broken parts in it,, boy what a bummer, my first german car and look what happens, i thought they were supposed to be soooo good, i should have stuck with my nissans, i've had nissans for 17 yrs now and never had tranny probs, even with my last car which i converted the engine and mated it to the stock 2 liter tranny, the engine was 340 hp and would do low 12 sec. passed all day and this went on for 3 hard years and never a tranny failure,, anyway guys the long and short of the story id,, i'm looking for a used tranny for the car,, its a ZF 5HP18 if anyone has one please let me know
thanx

ryan roopnarine
06-17-2004, 09:24 AM
what country are you in.... the lions share of transmissions in those cars in the us was the a4s310r....

it would probably be helpful to specify where you are

thanx

ryan roopnarine
06-17-2004, 09:26 AM
in looking for some info on my transmission, i found that almost all of the people in europe that knew which tranny they had on their 525i had the a5s, and the japaneese variant (i think it has a j after it).

zf5hp18 in the 525... it has the a4s310

Bill R.
06-17-2004, 09:28 AM
what country are you in.... the lions share of transmissions in those cars in the us was the a4s310r....

ryan roopnarine
06-17-2004, 09:35 AM
i just engaged the etk to make sure i wasn't talking out me' arse to you bill, putting in 1994/11 525i m50 auto tranny, turning off the USA selection and putting on the ECE selection....there are only two transmissions shown: the a5s310 and a5s300j, no selection for a4s310r. then again, you prob. have a way more recent copy than me.

ryan roopnarine
06-17-2004, 09:39 AM
nevermind, just saw that the european cars have gasketry sets for a4s310r/270, but no "longblock" replacement transmissions like they have for the US cars. I'll shut up now.

Bill R.
06-17-2004, 09:39 AM
i just engaged the etk to make sure i wasn't talking out me' arse to you bill, putting in 1994/11 525i m50 auto tranny, turning off the USA selection and putting on the ECE selection....there are only two transmissions shown: the a5s310 and a5s300j, no selection for a4s310r. then again, you prob. have a way more recent copy than me.

tnt525i
06-17-2004, 11:40 AM

i am in the caribbean,, the car is a euro spec version not the japanese one

tnt525i
06-17-2004, 11:43 AM
and the tranny is an a5s310,, the id tag is a 5hp18

ryan roopnarine
06-17-2004, 12:05 PM
carribean eh....should have known without a doubt that you were from trinidad from your unsolicited love-fest rant about nissans :D (that and the name....I really mean no offense). where do you usually get used parts from, the US? S america? there's a gentleman here that is regarded as an expert on the zf transmission, if you're at all interested in a rebuild kit for it (as opposed to used) he would be the gentleman to talk to. running the software finds that you may be able to use a transmission from certain e36 25i models...you'd have to specify your targer area from which you'd like to obtain this transmission.

and the tranny is an a5s310,, the id tag is a 5hp18

tnt525i
06-17-2004, 02:16 PM
carribean eh....should have known without a doubt that you were from trinidad from your unsolicited love-fest rant about nissans :D (that and the name....I really mean no offense). where do you usually get used parts from, the US? S america? there's a gentleman here that is regarded as an expert on the zf transmission, if you're at all interested in a rebuild kit for it (as opposed to used) he would be the gentleman to talk to. running the software finds that you may be able to use a transmission from certain e36 25i models...you'd have to specify your targer area from which you'd like to obtain this transmission.
ryan i never bought a part for the car as yet,,, you see i have it now for only 2 months and this will be my first purchase, i know that the e36 325i tranny is listed as the same for my car but what i dont know is if the electrical connector is the same,, my car hac ONE electrical connector with 14 pins it,, if the 325i is the same then that would confirm that the tranny is the same,, can anyone shed some light ?

ryan roopnarine
06-17-2004, 02:23 PM
if you can specify a specific year and model and (country of origin) e36 transmission that is available to you, i can go check the electrical connector for it, it would be difficult to work backwards without knowing where the car came from.

ryan i never bought a part for the car as yet,,, you see i have it now for only 2 months and this will be my first purchase, i know that the e36 325i tranny is listed as the same for my car but what i dont know is if the electrical connector is the same,, my car hac ONE electrical connector with 14 pins it,, if the 325i is the same then that would confirm that the tranny is the same,, can anyone shed some light ?

sbcncsu
06-17-2004, 03:43 PM
This may not help but is interesting info:

http://www.zf-group.com/pdf/5HP18.pdf

tnt525i
06-17-2004, 04:17 PM
thanx ryan,, i will call the guy in alabama and as soon as i get a response fron him, i will post it for you

ryan roopnarine
06-17-2004, 06:13 PM
are you talking about vines automotive? i don't know if this transmission would "fit" your car, but the NA 530i e34 came with a 5hp18. try putting in 94 530i automatic into http://car-part.com and compare prices, if you like.

thanx ryan,, i will call the guy in alabama and as soon as i get a response fron him, i will post it for you

tnt525i
06-18-2004, 04:59 AM
thanx ryan, but its not vines auto,, by the way,, you share the same name of a cousin i have here in trinidad if thats your real name lol

Ian W
06-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Isnt 'zf 5hp 18' the same thing as a 'a5s 310z'?

tnt525i
06-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Isnt 'zf 5hp 18' the same thing as a 'a5s 310z'?
yes its the same thing