PDA

View Full Version : E39, steeringwheel locks and makes resistance when straightening up after left turns

Espen
09-21-2011, 01:22 PM
A while since last time i posted here, but now I really need your help here.

My car, a 2002 530DAT have been through alot of maintenance this summer. I have replaced most bushings and links in front suspension. I even replaced the steering rack whilst pursuing the source of a bad sound when riding on rough roads.
So the car was very nice to drive, and after the last visit to the local indie where i replaced a torque rod(? correct english word?) I had a wheel alignment.

Now, after all this I started to notice that the steeringwheel would "lock" and give me resistance when going out of left turns. For example when turning left through a roundabout and turning right to exit it, it wants to keep going to the left.

It gets even weirder, because this only happends when the car is in movement, I can turn the steering wheel from end to end without problems when parked. But as soon as i am driving, even slow, it starts locking.

Ive had it at a budy who works at the BMW dealer, he has done a steeringwheel-angle-sensor reinitiation, but with no luck. So what could this be ?

I can think of a bad powersteering pump? (but then it would be present also when parked)
U joint in steering column, but that would also be present when parked, right?

genphreak
09-24-2011, 12:23 AM
I'd bank on one of those new joints grabbing- or something in your list of new items not being correctly located. Check that torque rod for example... Be sure it is in the steering, not the suspension as that would affect the feel of the steering directly.