PDA

View Full Version : Park brake lever

6670charger
09-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Does the tension or adjustment of the parking brake cables effect how the lever works, beyond possibly how far it pulls up?

whiskychaser
09-13-2011, 04:39 AM
It shouldnt affect the lever's action or ratchet but clearly if you tighten the cables too much the brakes are going to bind.

6670charger
09-13-2011, 04:57 AM
Understood. Was looking at a car the other day for potential purchase. Owner said the parking brake needed adjustment. I tried the brake out and found that it seemed to hold OK. The lever's action seemed normal. The only thing I found that might be an issue is that the release button in the handle seems recessed too far and is tricky to push in. Seems like its more an issue with the button return spring in the handle than an actual parking brake cable adjustment or replacement.

thanks.

genphreak
09-13-2011, 08:46 AM
No that is the handle pulling forward/off. Just push/pull it back on hard and you'll be good to go. The hand brake has no adjustment, though maybe on the shoes there is some. One is supposed to change them every 10 years, or (probably) 10 hand-brake turns, whichever is earliest :)

Have never had to do it myself. Sometimes the shoes are just hardened, a 'conditioning' is what the manual suggests the driver do to achieve 'optimum performance'... LOL!