PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan gasket

6670charger
09-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Going to replace my oil pan gasket this week when I change oil and also change the gasket for the oil suction pipe. My assumption is that I'm better off using some sort of sealer during re-installation rather than just setting in place and bolting in?

Thanks.

genphreak
09-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Yep.

Not so much to seal, just a little bit to help keep it in place. If you don't use it the gasket will slip into the pan every time you try to set it in place. Be sure that you use a catalytic converter safe sealant on any surface/joint in contact with air and oil inside the engine. Such sealers say this on the tube, else they are not.

6670charger
09-07-2011, 08:48 AM
OK, thanks. I think you're the one who suggested changing the oil takeup tube gasket to solve my lifter noise problem. My hope is that this will take care of things.

Was also doing some reading about changing the oil pan gasket and found that I might have to loosen one of the engine mounts and raise the engine a couple of inches for what I assume is extra clearance or access to some of the pan bolts? I get my pan gasket tomorrow and hope to change the two gaskets tomorrow night after work.