PDA

View Full Version : Rear end noise

ahlem
08-20-2011, 07:45 PM
1990 535i 5 speed 365,000 miles 3.91 rear end. Has seen some track time in it's life. The car is lowered. I am searching for the cause of a noise that sounds sort of like a backing plate rubbing on a rotor. It's definitely speed related, happens in any gear and doesn't change on acceleration or deceleration. Dog bones need to be changed. I may be getting a sounding board effect due to dead bushings. I am looking for suggestions on what to look for as I evaluate things. Seems to be wheel speed related more than drive shaft.

genphreak
08-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Beware judgements based on noise in the drive train. I once installed a diff out of a wreck and it made my new clutch sound like it had just disintegrated. Fairdinkum to the driver it was exactly like the noise was from the bellhousing.

No way was it the rear end.

the fix was to add some diff-additive to the rear end. Sorted that **** right out, no worries for years since.

ahlem
08-23-2011, 05:59 PM
My unindicated first plan of attack was to change the dogbones and diff fluid and tighten the e brake cable. I didn't want to bias the replies to my inquiry. When I'm crawling around under there I will probably find that piece of missing heat shield rubbing on the axle where it lodged itself.