PDA

View Full Version : Dead cam position sensor...Again

jgwells1
08-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I have a 175k 92 525iT that I am starting to have weird problems with. Last week I had timing issues, so I replaced the cam sensor on it. The vehicle would fire, and with pressure on the gas would stay running slightly but not enough to drive. The cam sensor fixed it. No issues at all, fully functional. 3 days later, go to start it, and it didn't quite catch the first try and had a little cough, like a small backfire. Second try and the engine ran just like when the cam sensor failed from a few days ago. Is there any conditions that can precipitate sensor failure so rapidly? I am warrantying the sensor and should have a replacement on Friday, which should fix it, for how long I don't know. It is a weird circumstance that I hope is more a faulty sensor, but I can't come up with a way the car itself could have forced the failure. Any enlightenment would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Tiger
08-12-2011, 08:17 AM
It is much more common on BMW that the crank position sensor goes bad.

jgwells1
08-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I understand, in this particular case, the cam position sensor fixed it, and it has the same symptoms. The engine will start, and with help run. New sensor, and it runs normally. As I understand failure or partial failure of the crank sensor, and it wont run at all. I just cant figure out how a cam sensor could fail so fast, unless of course it were faulty.

jgwells1
08-14-2011, 08:42 PM
A replacement sensor arrived yesterday, which I installed, and the car ran perfectly yet again, and for how long, who knows. I am hoping it was just a bad sensor. If anyone has heard of some way that the sensor can fail please let me know. I would like to trust the car again rather than wonder if the cam sensor will crap out.