PDA

View Full Version : Throttle response with EAT chip

Victor
08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Having read a lot of positive posts regarding the EAT chip, I'm considering one for my '95 525i. One contributor said, however, that there's only a 6HP increase to be had with any 525i. This had me wondering how everyone is so impressed ...

Does anyone know if the amount of fuel that is injected at a given throttle position is affected by the chip? I know more is involved, (timing, mixture), but if the throttle curve is altered to make the accelerator more responsive f-e-e-l-i-n-g, that could explain why only a 6HP improvement (if correct) feels like 25. The EAT website doesn't seem to actually say what the gains are, or how the chips work, except allowing more RPM's.

Thanks for opinions.

Russell
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Wish i could help more. However, I feel a much better low end rponse than before. However, my chip has been in my 95 for about 4+ years so my memory may be selective.

Victor
08-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Got my answer by speaking with Mark Dyslva (maker of the E.A.T. chip) directly. Throttle on these cars is cabled to the butterfly valve in the mass air sensor. Therefore, the chip does not directly control the fuel supply curve. Indirectly, perhaps, but not by simply dumping more fuel into the engine earlier when depressing the throttle. Response has more to do with other changes the chip makes, which is comforting.

My understanding is that the car was designed to accept low octane fuel and had engine management compromises (probably mainly engine timing) to accommodate. A lot of what the chip does is eliminate those compromises, albeit adding a 93 octane requirement.

Russell
08-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Got my answer by speaking with Mark Dyslva (maker of the E.A.T. chip) directly. Throttle on these cars is cabled to the butterfly valve in the mass air sensor. Therefore, the chip does not directly control the fuel supply curve. Indirectly, perhaps, but not by simply dumping more fuel into the engine earlier when depressing the throttle. Response has more to do with other changes the chip makes, which is comforting.

My understanding is that the car was designed to accept low octane fuel and had engine management compromises (probably mainly engine timing) to accommodate. A lot of what the chip does is eliminate those compromises, albeit adding a 93 octane requirement.

Great infomration. I thought the EAT chip octane requirement is 91. I use 93 (correction) as here in KY 91 is not available.

Tiger
08-10-2011, 01:38 PM
As long it doesn't ping and you got great mileage... nothing to worry about.