PDA

View Full Version : Both LR window switches open sunroof ??

Bellicose Right Winger
07-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Hello once again to the premier E34 board. It's been a while since I've posted here. I've mostly moved on to E39's, but my incredible reliable, 9/89 build 535ia w/179k developed a strange problem yesterday. I haven't come across anything similar with searches. Leaving work yesterday I held both front then rear window switched down simultaneously like I usually do to open all the windows. I got home, closed front then rear windows until motors stopped. Got out of car and found LR window only half closed. Tried to reclose from console and nothing happens. Tried to open further from console and SR opens !!! Same effect on LR door switch....close button does nothing, open button opens sunroof. All other window and SR switch work normally. Disonnecting battery for 2 hours makes no change. Any suggestions before I rip door apart looking for a wiring problem? Switch or GM problem perhaps?

Paul S
BMW CCA 69606

Bill R.
07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Paul, try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so to reset the general module. I can't imagine an internal short that would short the sunroof to the window switch so i'm guessing programming glitch?

Bellicose Right Winger
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I'm skeptical of a wiring problem also. What do you recall about use of late GM's in early cars? Does this work?

Paul S
BMW CCA 69606

Bill R.
07-15-2011, 12:23 PM
There is a tech bulletin thats a 36kb file that i can't upload as an attachment since 19.5kb is the size limit for pdf. in essence it states that the older and newer cars have different door locking systems and the module isn't compatible between the two. There is a new part number for both with a redesigned module in 1992. 61 358 356 095 is the number for the new module for older e34's produced before 9/91 and for all e32's. So if you find a module in the junkyard with those numbers or with your old numbers they should work. The bulletin also states that modules must be plugged or unplugged only after the battery is disconnected to avoid (undefined signal contacts which could cause the wrong vehicle configuration to be store)

Bellicose Right Winger
07-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Bill,
Thanks for the info. New symptom discovered as I openned LR door to manually power window closed. Trying to open LR window opens the SR AND closes the LF window!!!
I'm looking for a GM.

Paul S
BMW CCA 69606
BMW CCA 69606

Bill R.
07-16-2011, 10:36 AM
This is probably unrelated but one of my customers has a boxster convertible and the conv. top drains got plugged up with leaves and debris. When it rained top drains didn't work and the water overflowed into the interior of the car on the floor. The central locking module is on the floor under the drivers seat and it was in 2 inches of water. I removed it , dried it out and opened the module up. Resoldered the worst of the corroded solder traces and put it back together , now his windows will randomly go up and down while driving and the door locks will cycle randomly...

Bellicose Right Winger
07-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Just to close the loop.... bought GM from Andy, problems solved.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/swap-meet-classified-ads/43221-parting-black-525i-1990-manual.html

Paul S
BMW CCA 69606