PDA

View Full Version : Need help diagnoising shimmy

Mitch90535im
07-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Not the infamous 55mph shimmy, but something that only occurs sometimes when I hit a bump in the road or maybe for example entering or exiting on/off a bridge. I hear a "clunk" that sounds to be coming from the right front even at low speed bumps, but I can't find anything loose or appearing excessively worn, but when I encounter the wobble/shimmy at hwy speeds it gets a little unnerving, often having to slow to a crawl to get it to quit.

What should I be looking for?

Tiger
07-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Sounds like shock absorber/strut is shot.

Mitch90535im
07-05-2011, 07:45 PM
It does seem rather bouncy when I push down on the front fender and get it going up and down however I'm not getting that "clunk" sound that I'm hearing when I'm driving.

Tiger
07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
If you got Boge or standard shocks... they don't last long... maybe 75k miles at the most... I'd say after 50K miles... starts go bad quickly.

If you got monotubes such as the yellow Bilstein (not touring) or Koni, then they will last way over 100K miles easily if not leaking

Shocks does not go clunky. When you pull out the struts and compare it to new one... you will then know.

From the symptom that you feel the car is out of control that you need to slow down is the surest sign that your shock absorber is completely dead.