PDA

View Full Version : M50 valves

6670charger
07-05-2011, 06:17 AM
I was reading in the maintenance section that the M20 and M30 engines have adjustable valves. Does the M50 have adjustable valves too? Mine's ticking like it needs one. Just wondering if a valve adjustment will do the trick.

Thanks.

ArnZ!
07-05-2011, 06:23 AM
No m50 have hydraulic lifters, apparently the lifters can get old sludgey oil in them which can make noisy. I read somewhere to change the oil (not sure which brand) then go for a good hard drive getting the engine really hot so the oil can circulate everywhere nicely.

whiskychaser
07-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Lifters normally tick for only a second or two after fire up. Oil / filter change is a good place to start though. Could it be vanos? Your '92 might not have it but your '95 will

Russell
07-05-2011, 01:53 PM
your engine could be a bit sludged up. i understand the orfices in the hydrallic lifters can get clogged. There is an entire secondary market out there for engine cleaners. Google around. YOu may just want to run a high quality oil known for cleaning.

6670charger
07-07-2011, 05:28 AM
I know they should tick for a couple of seconds. My 92 engine did that and ran fine. The 95 continues to tick all the time, though. I'll start with an oil change and see what happens. I need to swap the oil level sensor from the pan in the 92 into the 95 and will need to drop the oil for that anyway. Probably a good place to start. A high detergent oil sounds like it might be in order.